3D surface path hangs up on solid surface

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Routerworks

3D surface path hangs up on solid surface

Post by Routerworks »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.22366 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 34c11fcc63efa2fc72cbc74c75c76e9f19d5c84c
Python version: 3.8.5
Qt version: 5.12.6
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
also: Python 3.8.5 | packaged by conda-forge | (default, Aug 29 2020, 00:43:28) [MSC v.1916 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32

It seems to work ok with 3D models made in Freecad however, when I bring in a solid made from a mesh I get as far as choosing "3D surface" and it hangs up. My goal is to be able to machine 3D curvilinear objects (example: chess piece). Machine it from 4 faces.

Thanks in advance.
Routerworks

Re: 3D surface path hangs up on solid surface

Post by Routerworks »

Is there any way of getting Python OCL to work on solid made from an obj. file or mesh converted to a solid. Or, is this question in the wrong space?

Thanks.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Routerworks wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:15 pm Is there any way of getting Python OCL to work on solid made from an obj.
OCL is used for 3D surface.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Routerworks

Post by Routerworks »

Ok, so one plane of a 3D object (such as a chess figure, knight) would not be considered a 3D surface? It's only something made up of circles, holes and squares etc.?

Thanks for responding.
Routerworks

Post by Routerworks »

Ok, so one plane of a 3D object (such as a chess figure, knight) would not be considered a 3D surface? It's only something made up of circles, holes and squares etc.?

Thanks for responding.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This post shows some of the possibilities of 3D surface: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=41997.
Is there a certain reason why you want to use OCL? Wouldn't any other tool be just as good af it creates suitable GCodes?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Routerworks

Post by Routerworks »

Yes, I'm looking for anything I can machine a contoured surface with.

Thanks
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

So I would recommend to start with a simple cube from Part workbench.

Create a Job and a Contour (0.18) or a Profile operation.

Next create an object with a pocket-not-through-all and create a Pocket operation. Make sure that the tool you choose is smaller than the pocket.

This should get you going with Path workbench and you don't need OCL for this.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi
Routerworks wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:15 pm Is there any way of getting Python OCL to work on solid made from an obj. file or mesh converted to a solid. Or, is this question in the wrong space?

Thanks.
do you have an example fille for us ?
Gruß Herbert
Routerworks

Post by Routerworks »

Thank you for your responses. I have created many 3D pieces in Freecad and successfully generated "Path" g codes. The problem for me is trying to import the surface of an STL or obj. mesh file that I have converted to a solid. I tried to upload the sample chess piece (knight, looks like a horse's head) but the file was too large. The piece is only about 3 inches tall but there are probably a lot of facets from converting the mesh. The problem is the same for machining any natural 3D object such as an apple or small figure. Generally if I can machine it from 4 planes 90 Degrees to each other, I can create the complete object. Hope this helps.

Thank you.