is there 5 axis

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
nesquik011

is there 5 axis

Post by nesquik011 »

hello , i am building my own 5 axis machine XYZ AB , so is there 5 axis option ? if not will it come to future ? :)
adamLange

Re: is there 5 axis

Post by adamLange »

I'm working on 5-axis algorithms.

I made an inverse kinematics solver for 5-axis (and n-axis) machines and cutting algorithms. My focus has been core algorithms - nothing's been turned into a FreeCAD workbench yet. I would welcome help on workbench-ifying this.

I'm getting close to making chips fly running adaptive pocketing on arbitrary planes on an physical 5-axis machine.

The inverse kinematics project is here: https://hackaday.io/project/169499-solv ... h-modelica
( The tutorial might broke now if you try to follow along unfortunately...)

In addition to the IK project there is a higher level python modules where the algorithms like adaptive pocketing live called HackerCAD. HackerCAD runs in a Jupyter notebook and uses the python-occ library.
nesquik011

Post by nesquik011 »

i was programer i would help :cry: but i am not , i am just building cnc machine with XYZ AB for medical use as hobby , i was using fusion 360 but they decided to kick all free user with more limitations no export step etc , so i decided to moveto freecad hoping there would be 5 axis milling system , and post-processor generator
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

nesquik011 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:19 am i was using fusion 360 but they decided to kick all free user with more limitations no export step etc , ...
I just read about the changes this morning. They really made the CAM almost unusable for hobbyists.

I wish we had better simultaneous 5 axis milling for you but at least we can give you rapid moves and tool changes for free and the 3+2 milling (4th axis stuff) is getting better.
nesquik011

Post by nesquik011 »

sliptonic wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:45 pm
nesquik011 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:19 am i was using fusion 360 but they decided to kick all free user with more limitations no export step etc , ...
I just read about the changes this morning. They really made the CAM almost unusable for hobbyists.

I wish we had better simultaneous 5 axis milling for you but at least we can give you rapid moves and tool changes for free and the 3+2 milling (4th axis stuff) is getting better.
so it means there is a hope for 5 axis in the future ? is it possible ?
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Of course it's possible. In fact, it's almost inevitable. It's just not likely any time soon. 😁

Open-source software is relentless and unconcerned with schedule. Everyone on the FreeCAD project could get hit by a bus and someone else would pick up the code base and continue the work.

I personally plan to work on this project for a long time and I can't wait to see how good it is in a couple of years but unless we get developers willing to tackle those hard 5 axis tool paths and sponsors willing to make 5 axis machines available to developers, it might be a while before that particular feature is ready.
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

sliptonic wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:34 am ... sponsors willing to make 5 axis machines available to developers...
Isn't this problem really a matter of seeing with your own eyes how the tip of the milling tool moves in space?
If so, I'd say we design a small and simple 5-axis machine made for 3D printing. Then it would be "just" a matter of getting your hands on a printer and some stepper motors.
I mean, just to make the code working, you shouldn't need a perfect real Mega $ machine, right?
5-axis milling for the people! :P
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:25 am I mean, just to make the code working, you shouldn't need a perfect real Mega $ machine, right?
Probably right, but it is more fun for a programmer if he can use it himself. What else would be the payback if not fun?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi Pauvres_honteux ,
Pauvres_honteux wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:25 am ... 5-axis machine made for 3D printing. .
Is there a 3D printing system which needs/uses 5 axis ? I don't know one...

Hi sliptonic,

i think one 5 axis machine isn't enough, because there are different types of machines out and i think they need differnt code to.

Since about 2 years now i'm thinking about building a little 5 axis router, but i'm not sure how to build the B axis...
A turns the bridge of the router, but for B i'm changing between turning the spindle or just turning a part of the table. Turning a part of the table would be more easy, turning the spindle allows bigger parts.
But for buth machine types the code must be different to in my mind...
Gruß Herbert
nesquik011

Post by nesquik011 »

:D i am happy to see that there is a hope that freecad will get sooner or later 5 axis cam , 5 axis cam for everyone , and i am sure after what autocade did XD this community will grow more , i working on youtube channel for cad and cam stuff based on fusion but after that i think i will move to freecad so thump up to freecad :D , at the end i would love to say developer don't give up on updating the cam system