[PR #3888] extend pad direction feature

Post here if you have re-based and finalised code to integrate into master, which was discussed, agreed to and tested in other forums. You can also submit your PR directly on github.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [PR #3888] extend pad direction feature

Post by chrisb »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:03 am As far as I can see, only the pad feature is recomputed and not the whole part.
Not the whole part, but aren't all dependent operations recomputed?
The Reversed is everything but not an expert option. The custom direction is by far more an expert option.
To me the normal vector is just a direction like any other, it is just used much more often than the others. ;)
Different persons, different views: to me the normal vector is not some default, it is THE default. Perhaps you should reconsider your way of not or only very superficially discussing things before implementing. The normal as pad direction has been there for years, so I guess I'm not the only one thinking that the normal is just, well, normal.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:22 pm Different persons, different views: to me the normal vector is not some default, it is THE default.
Hey, there was a smiley in my post.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:51 pm Hey, there was a smiley in my post.
Good you mention it, because I had overlooked it and have reacted rather upset. BTW, I never really understood what that very smiley stands for. Here in the forum it is used in very different contexts.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:18 pm Good you mention it, because I had overlooked it and have reacted rather upset. BTW, I never really understood what that very smiley stands for.
It is a twinker smiley (German: zwinkern), so you can use it in different ways. I use it since not everybody understands when it is humor or not.