Assembly 4 workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
catman

Re: Assembly 4 workbench

Post by catman »

catman wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:33 pm
Zolko wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:06 pm 3) there is already the "Dynamic Data" WB which also does that already (I think)
good point. Have not really checked that one out.
yup. Does exactly that. Thanks for the hint :oops:
louisgag

Post by louisgag »

Is it just my impression or when I edit a sketch to which a LCS is attached I end up breaking the definition of the LCS? It's as if the vertices and edges in the sketch get renamed or reordered or relabeled and then my LCS ends up somewhere different with a different orientation...

If it is really so, is there a way around this?
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

louisgag wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:30 pm It's as if the vertices and edges in the sketch get renamed or reordered or relabeled and then my LCS ends up somewhere different with a different orientation...

If it is really so, is there a way around this?
It is so. You may not add/subtract any sketch edges or vertices if you have LCS's attached to the sketch.
The only way around this I have found is to leave the adding of LCS's as the last step when the sketches are not likely to change.
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

Hi,
Is it possible to do 3 or more animations, one by one?
animation1 start to end then
animation2 start to end then
animation3 start to end
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

GlouGlou wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:19 pm Is it possible to do 3 or more animations, one by one?
Yes, it can be done using conditional expressions such as in this example of two sequential animations:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 20#p370133
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
louisgag

Post by louisgag »

ppemawm wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:46 pm You may not add/subtract any sketch edges or vertices if you have LCS's attached to the sketch.
Thank you for confirming.

Another way "around" I've used is to create a new sketch and link its motion to the original one using Expressions.
A bit cumbersome, but saves me redefining multiple LCS.

I assume an alternative would be to dump the LCS attachments using Python and then (manually) creating a list of substitution names such as

Code: Select all

subs = {"Vertex1":"Vertex3","Edge8":"Edge3"}
and looping that over every LCS definition containing reference to the modified sketch... That's probably only useful if there are many LCSs using the same edges and vertices, because getting the new names can be just as long as reattaching the LCSs.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

louisgag wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:30 pm It's as if the vertices and edges in the sketch get renamed or reordered or relabeled
yes, that's what's happening, and it's FreeCAD's dreaded topological naming issue. There are no solutions, only workarounds. Variables and datum objects are some of them. Don't forget datum points that are referenced (attached) to existing LCS and offset by some Variable value, and that can be imported into sketches: those never get confused.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
totalcad

Post by totalcad »

@Zolko
Hello, mr. Zolko! Your workbench is powerful! Thank you very much!!

I try to use ASSEM 4 for some metal frame assembly. Everything works good, with the exception of Russian names of parts/sub-assemblies. The names are changing to ____ symbols. I use Ubuntu 20.04.1 and daily build of FC 0.19. Does this need a bug report or feature request somewhere?

here's my files:
https://yadi.sk/d/xmGl-b33UFj-Qw

a video of making:
https://yadi.sk/i/ovnkgmCANLgI8Q

Big thanks from Russia! :)
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

totalcad wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:26 am with the exception of Russian names of parts/sub-assemblies. The names are changing to ____ symbols. I use Ubuntu 20.04.1 and daily build of FC 0.19. Does this need a bug report or feature request somewhere?
Thank-you for your encouraging. This issue is listed and solved here:

https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_As ... issues/130

FreeCAD cannot use Cyrillic letters for names, only for labels. You can leave the default "Body" or "Part" name as proposed at creation time, and change the label in the tree, as you would do if you created these objects from the Part or PartDesign workbenches.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
totalcad

Post by totalcad »

Thanks, Zolko for answer!
As I understood FC development must be changed inside the kernel to be able to recognize Cyrillic letters? Are there any plans to do some changes in that?
I'll try to explain my intentions for future..)):
If we could make some library of parts (with preparations for ASSEM 4) - this could be useful to name the part's files in native language (not only Russian). We could make some classifications/folders/sub-folders in native language and use the parts/sub-assemblies in the ASSEM 4 projects without relabeling/renaming stuff// What do you think about such workflow? May be there's some better to organize the process? What could you advise: how to use you cool tool most effective way in that meaning?

An ideal process in my head is looking like:
1. to build a part
2. to make a library of parts
3. to build assembly
4. to add assemblies to the library an use them as sub-assemblies
5. to make tech drawings
6. to make BOM (like the "Fasteners" workbench has or like A2+ has)

About BOM I've read your conversation with WayofWood user. By the way, @WayofWood - thank you for your efforts!! (cool tutorials about A2+min youtube:)).
I see the BOM process like this:
1. to make some attribute of part with some parameter, which can be included in the BOM table
2. to make an assembly, using parts with prepared attribute
3. to make a spreadsheet BOM using selected assembly
4. to make a tech draw with numbering of parts as spreadsheet BOM has

I can understand it's easy to say, but it's just my thoughts. :)