3DConnexion SpaceMouse - pressing ANY button dramatically zooms out and rotates the view

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
RainmanNoodles

3DConnexion SpaceMouse - pressing ANY button dramatically zooms out and rotates the view

Post by RainmanNoodles »

I have a 3DConnexion SpaceMouse Enterprise. Pressing any of the buttons (including the menu button) causes FreeCAD's 3D view to rotate and zoom out (dramatically).

For example, working on a small part, the view size in the lower right showed 166.07 mm x 88.17 mm, and the view was a Top view (X right, Y up). Pressing the 3D mouse's "fit" button ONCE left the dimensions of the view at 26.85 m x 14.26 m (zoomed out a lot!) and rotated to a strange angle. After pressing the button a second time, the view dimension were 2898.57 m x 1538.98 m. It does this each time the button is pressed, so in this example after 12 more presses, the view was so far zoomed out that it showed inf mm x inf mm.

I've of course gone to "Tools -> Customize -> Spaceball Buttons" and set the buttons to have some actions. For one test, I tried setting the "FIT" button to perform the "Zoom to fit" action. Pressing this button does trigger a zoom to fit - for a fraction of a second before the same thing happens to the view as described above. This at least prevents it from zooming out infinitely but the problem is still there.

How can this be resolved?
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: 3DConnexion SpaceMouse - pressing ANY button dramatically zooms out and rotates the view

Post by Kunda1 »

Please always post your About info when asking for assistance. Thank you.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
RainmanNoodles

Re: 3DConnexion SpaceMouse - pressing ANY button dramatically zooms out and rotates the view

Post by RainmanNoodles »

About info:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.4 (GitTag)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Please install v0.19, try to reproduce and report back.
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
RainmanNoodles

Post by RainmanNoodles »

I tried 0.19 and had the exact same issue.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

RainmanNoodles wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:18 am I tried 0.19 and had the exact same issue.
please always post your About info when asking for assistance.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

What Mouse Model are you using (lower right corner)
see for example: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=50690
RainmanNoodles

Post by RainmanNoodles »

I'm using the CAD mouse model with Trackball orbit style, but I tried with every option available and the bug occurs for every one. The mouse model does not appear to be relevant for 3D mice anyway - it should only affect the mappings and motion for 2D mice and trackpads.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

RainmanNoodles wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:02 pm I'm using the CAD mouse model with Trackball orbit style, but I tried with every option available and the bug occurs for every one. The mouse model does not appear to be relevant for 3D mice anyway - it should only affect the mappings and motion for 2D mice and trackpads.
There is a thread where some devs participate in regarding spacemouse issues. It would be a good idea to x-post to there then:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9198
RainmanNoodles

Post by RainmanNoodles »

I just crossposted there. We'll see if anyone picks up on it...

I've also noticed that if I try to program certain buttons, FreeCAD just displays "Out Of Range" for the button's name... I'm starting to get the feeling that FreeCAD just has a lot of bugs. :D