Assembly4: XLink absolute filepath problem

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
michaelquigley

Re: Assembly4: XLink absolute filepath problem

Post by michaelquigley »

Zolko wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:00 pm I don't know whether Asm3 links are different from standard App::Links, but for standard App::Links you can edit a broken link from the GUI:

Select the broken link in the Model tree, then in its PropertyView select the small button for LinkedObject, and in the pop-up list select the new target object. Note that only already opened document will be show here, so you need to have the target document already opened. Note also that this supposes that all referenced datums in the old target object are present in the new target object. Else, you're on your own.
I just tried this out, and this seems to work fine in my fairly simple scenarios, so far. 👍

Thank you... that's fairly straightforward to just re-point the link.

You guys are super responsive. I appreciate that! In a great many ways, I feel like this move away from Fusion 360 to FreeCAD is a big upgrade.
michaelquigley

Re: Assembly4: XLink absolute filepath problem

Post by michaelquigley »

realthunder wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:32 am Another way is to just open the broken file. The broken links will be marked with a red exclamation mark in the tree view. Mouse over those objects, you'll get the file path and object name. You can manually open the corresponding file, find the object, and drag the object and drop to the link to re-establish the linking. You may want to mark the document for 'Skip recompute' (right click the document icon and select the action in the menu), and reenable recompute after you have finished fixing all the links.
Also working great for me! Thank you!

p.s. Hopefully I haven't hijacked this thread too much. Figured it was at least partially on-topic.