A template file for STEMFIE in FreeCAD (could someone please take a look at it?)

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Stemfie3D

A template file for STEMFIE in FreeCAD (could someone please take a look at it?)

Post by Stemfie3D »

Greetings! :)

I would like to provide a default template file for anyone who wants to start making parts for the STEMFIE 3D-printable construction set.

I am a newbie using FreeCAD, and would, therefore, need some help. Could anyone, please, take a look at this file and see if there are any issues?

Grateful for any help I can get! :)

openBrain
Veteran

Re: A template file for STEMFIE in FreeCAD (could someone please take a look at it?)

Post by openBrain »

Hi Paulo,

Some remarks :
* The sketches/shapes for branding are out of the body. Using them inside it create an illegal links (that you can check in Std_DependencyGraph). You can use ShapeBinders to fix this
* I found the ledge diameter to be hardcoded in the sketches hence non changeable from the spreadsheet
* You have 2 ways for chamfering : one with sketches and one with chamfer feature. First is immune to toponaming issue, that's anyway weird to have 2 difference approaches in the same model
* Your tree is quite complex. You can really make it simpler by working with centered shapes and cleverly use features.

Here is a link to a proposal that should be parametric and immune to toponaming issue => https://framadrop.org/lufi/r/CkXAFLUZ9p ... nyWQG6dE0=
Stemfie3D

Re: A template file for STEMFIE in FreeCAD (could someone please take a look at it?)

Post by Stemfie3D »

Hi, openBrain!

Thank you for taking the time to look at the STEMFIE template scene. I appreciate your help and am glad to see your approach to achieving the same part in FreeCAD through a more straightforward method.

After looking at your file, I understand more about the advantages of using the MultiTransform and PolarPattern; it makes is so much easier. I now also see the benefit and purpose of using ShapeBinder feature.

I am excited to continue to improve my knowledge of FreeCAD and to develop and share the STEMFIE toy files with everyone! :)

Thank you for providing your version of the file which has a better and faster workflow. It taught me a lot and inspired me to base the template file on your method.

Cheers!