Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
czinehuba

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by czinehuba »

In autodesk product you can select construction or centre lines can be selected outside of sketch mode. For instance like an axis of revolution for revolve. It saves you to do a revolving axis separate feature.

So yes. That would be a good feature.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Most parametric cad programs indeed have this option, some have it as default, some have it as an option...

https://youtu.be/vz7m_D1L1tI?t=232
https://youtu.be/g-JThS6inJc?t=136
https://youtu.be/J1LJH2t-lhw?t=216
https://youtu.be/mDGKlLwXYic?t=186
https://youtu.be/w80t77Ce34M?t=176
https://youtu.be/mgRfDSrsIdo?t=106
https://ugnxtips.com/nx-knowledge-base/ ... s-display/

Update: Ok, I was reading a few more of the past posts on this and see that the original discussion started on something a bit different :roll:
Last edited by saso on Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

czinehuba wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:46 am For instance like an axis of revolution for revolve. It saves you to do a revolving axis separate feature.
1) I always place my sketches for a revolve at the center of rotation, such that the rotation axis is confounded with X, Y or Z. So I don't need to specify an extra axis. If you do revolves of sketches randomly placed in 3D then you're probably doing something else wrong

2) the sketcher is one of FreeCAD's main strength, on par with the big guns (Catia, SolidWorks, NX, ...): it's powerful, practical, stable. Therefore, messing with it must have a very strong reason, and this is not one of it

3) if it was all for free, why not, but in order to merge it a PR must be prepared, reviewed, tested, then modified again, re-tested ... how much of your own time and/or money are you willing to pay to get this feature merged ?

So yes. That would be a good feature.
So no, it will not be merged, I take the bets (and I will oppose it if the question arises). realthunder, your branch has many wonderful goodies, please don't waste your valuable time on such trivialities.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
czinehuba

Post by czinehuba »

Zolko wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:04 am ...
Thank you for sharing you point of view on the matter. Like everbody in this forum you are entitled to have one. But so do we.

There's no need to be hostile if somebody has an opinion. Even if in your view it is incorrect. It can be ignored.

Regards
Huba
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

czinehuba wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:28 pm There's no need to be hostile if somebody has an opinion.
There are some people who could rightly claim that I've been hostile, but not in this case: I wanted to inform some people that spending time on a feature might be waisted if that feature is never merged. I highly like and respect realthunders work, I was one of the early adopters of the App::Link interface, I know that there are many more things that he has in his branch that should be merged into "main" FreeCAD, but I would do him a disservice if I didn't tell him when I think he is on the wrong track.

I might be wrong, though, and everybody has the right to loose his (or hers) time as he (or she) wishes.

But now, YOU should tell why this feature is so important: what would it allow that cannot be done today ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

czinehuba wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:46 am In autodesk product you can select construction or centre lines can be selected outside of sketch mode. For instance like an axis of revolution for revolve. It saves you to do a revolving axis separate feature.
FYI it IS possible to use any construction line in a sketch for a revolve or groove feature. They are listed in the drop down list of reference axes. You just have to know the number of the construction line which of course is not the same as what is in the sketch.

I have made it a habit to add the revolve construction line last in the sketch process so that it shows up as last in the list. We can also select any line from a visible sketch for a revolve axis by choosing "Select reference". Now, how cool is that?
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
julierme.silva

Post by julierme.silva »

realthunder wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:14 am
julierme.silva wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:38 am Do you intend to incorporate this functionality in the next stable version of Assembly 3 that is already available in FreeCAD updates? :?:
This requires FC core support. It will be available in FC 0.20.
I understand.
I tested the version you recommended. The operation in your official tutorial (using Construction Line [blue line] to create an Element) worked very well in your version of FreeCAD.
The jpg87 solution (using Geometric Line [white line] to create an Element) also works very well, adding only one more sketch to your project file tree (which is not a problem).
jpg87 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:44 pm
Guys, thanks for one more explanation.
This forum is great.
czinehuba

Post by czinehuba »

ppemawm wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:51 pm ..
I knew about being able to select references lines edges. But didn't know about construction lines.

Awesome. Thanks for the pointer.
czinehuba

Post by czinehuba »

Zolko wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:50 pm But now, YOU should tell why this feature is so important: what would it allow that cannot be done today ?
I haven't said that it can't be done with the existing tools, just appreciating any improvement implemented to speed up the workflow.

That's the beauty of parametric modelling. More than one way to skin a cat. Give the same thing to a group of people and they will come up with different solutions for the same task.

I totally agree regarding time spent wisely on necessary feature. As most of us don't know the work required we just ask/request. But developers will judge and act accordingly.
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

czinehuba wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:17 pm As most of us don't know the work required we just ask/request. But developers will judge and act accordingly.
+1
AFAIK feature requests are not yet forbidden on this forum :roll: