Toolbits. SERIOUS EFFORT NEEDED

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: Toolbits. SERIOUS EFFORT NEEDED

Post by sliptonic »

GeneFC wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:22 pm We may be overthinking this.

I added descriptions in all the tool labels. No pictures needed, since I have a pretty good idea what I have available in my workshop.

If there are hundreds or thousands of tools it might be necessary. But I would guess that the overwhelming majority of FC users are not in that class.

Just apply a descriptive name.

Gene
Gene,
You're exactly right for the current state. It works fine at this level with users creating their own tools.

Of course, It won't scale if somebody writes a script to parse through the entire Harvey Tools catalog and automatically generate toolbits and libraries for FreeCAD.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Well, it's like the old statement (at least in the US) that we should never close the patent office. Certainly if someone wants to pursue a more graphical depiction that is great.

I was thinking in terms of the context of this thread which is sort of "we need to get this working before the release of 0.19".

Gene
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

GeneFC wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:15 pm Well, it's like the old statement (at least in the US) that we should never close the patent office. Certainly if someone wants to pursue a more graphical depiction that is great.

I was thinking in terms of the context of this thread which is sort of "we need to get this working before the release of 0.19".
Yep. 100% agree
spanner888

Post by spanner888 »

Path WB stabilty or just unstable user?

I was testing this pull request and got lost, as I kept running into more & more errors which did not match genral standards here, nor testing in prior few days. Some issues where my fault as I had not reset preferences or desired job defaults. I have not listed those errors here.

Also asked about How to make totally clean/default/pristine/factory reset FreeCAD environment?, as was trying to verify another users test results and I kept discovering a few extra dirs & files, but no responses.

Deleted local copy of pull request branch, downloaded again and built again, but still getting issues.

Then tried current master to compare basic stability, of course can't test above pull request, but I got yet another error so now I am asking is it me or maybe Path WB in a state of change?

As part of trying to reproduce issues, have had most errors occur several times, in separate and new designs/jobs.
All designs and path operations simple, just created (several times) designs/paths, although last operation was a horizontal shelf.

Have also looked around forum and so far just seems to be me having so many issues...

So I could post more details of errors below, but I suspect something else is happening, ie errors mostly/all not due to pull request and so was looking for advice on what to do next.

A very brief error summary is below. All simple designs, errors at different stages creating path operations or Tool controllers/bits:
Pull Request build:
1. Trying run simulator: raise RuntimeError("Path Simulation: Error in tool geometry - {}".format(self.tool.Name))

2. 09:49:06 <Path.Area> Area.cpp(1430): hit bottom 0,0,1e-06
09:49:06 <Path.Area> Area.cpp(1430): hit bottom 0,-2.95393e-32,1e-06
...BUT job as shown only has ONE cut layer at TOP surface - not 2nd/+ layers!!!

3. Having a lot of trouble deleting default Tool Controller, takes 3 or even 5/6 tries!

4. 'PySide2.QtWidgets.QDialogButtonBox' object has no attribute 'value'

5. Really wierd was when LHS tree pane kept auto-resized about every 3 seconds, even when I was not touching computer! After that I went for FC restart and then no reoccurence.

6. ONCE saw TC/mill & 2 more levels of the underlying shape doc....

Master build:
7. <class 'UnboundLocalError'>: local variable 'oneBase' referenced before assignment

Configurations used include:

Code: Select all

Pull Request:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.22895 +2 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: sliptonic/toolbits_tidyup
Hash: 7d4e21c1c4fbdff2d3eb8eceb7fe5130a8910cf6
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.11.3
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)

Master:

Code: Select all

Version: 0.19.23029 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: master
Hash: 691f25904218e923d1cd70ab72743c40f9bb36c5
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.11.3
Coin version: 4.0.0a
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
m0n5t3r

Post by m0n5t3r »

I got a clean build / run environment by running the thing in docker; observations so far:

* it needs 2 extra packages that aren't in the freecad-daily dependencies (numpy and pivy)
* toolbit dock seems to work fine, and text-only might work for people like me who have like 10 cutters in total; for a better equipped shop, not so much, showing at least the basic tool profile might be a good idea (cached image, as it was talked about before)
* setting feeds and speeds is as clunky as before (I'd very much like to see a job-wide default setting like rapids are, or at least more accessible UI to set them - edit: I'd see this as a field in the job defaults that can be overridden in the tool controller parameters and maybe in job settings as well - since you'd presumably use slower speeds for a spring / finishing pass and a different tool controller with the same tool number will just output a pointless tool change the machine may or may not ignore)
* the "add" button in the job edit tools tab does nothing, the remove button doesn't even light up
* deburring with a chamfer tool seems off (it just stays away from the edge and, at least in simulation, never touches it - the freecad simulator and camotics agree here)
* on deburring circular edges, the simulator just does a plunge; the gcode looks fine (it draws a circle), but see previous point

All in all, I didn't see anything break catastrophically (not sure the deburring stuff falls within the scope of this effort), so the button cleanups in the job editor might be the only glaring issue.

Version: 0.19.23044 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: feature/toolbitdock
Hash: 138a395024046ace83da3e0c5133b698265ddb9e
Python version: 3.8.5
Qt version: 5.12.8
Coin version: 4.0.0
Locale: C/Default (C)
camotics-testfile.png
camotics-testfile.png (57.88 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
(nevermind the title in the screenshot, I thought it shows the hash, but that's the container it's running on :D)
cutmaterial.png
cutmaterial.png (49.46 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
Attachments
testfile.FCStd
(546.23 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

m0n5t3r wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:45 pm * it needs 2 extra packages that aren't in the freecad-daily dependencies (numpy and pivy)
I'm not sure what's going on here. Both numpy and pivy are used widely throughout FreeCAD.
* toolbit dock seems to work fine, and text-only might work for people like me who have like 10 cutters in total; for a better equipped shop, not so much, showing at least the basic tool profile might be a good idea (cached image, as it was talked about before)
This will have to be something we improve going forward. For reasons discussed above, a simple solution isn't available and I don't want to hold up the release for it.
* setting feeds and speeds is as clunky as before (I'd very much like to see a job-wide default setting like rapids are, or at least more accessible UI to set them - edit: I'd see this as a field in the job defaults that can be overridden in the tool controller parameters and maybe in job settings as well - since you'd presumably use slower speeds for a spring / finishing pass and a different tool controller with the same tool number will just output a pointless tool change the machine may or may not ignore)
Feeds and speeds are dependent on tool geometry so making them job-level defaults doesn't make sense. They would always be wrong for one tool controller if there is more than one TC in the job.

If two tool controllers have the same tool number, it does NOT create a second tool change. This is handled in PathPost so it isn't even postprocessor dependent.
* the "add" button in the job edit tools tab does nothing, the remove button doesn't even light up
Good catch on the add button. Both edit and remove work for me.

* deburring with a chamfer tool seems off (it just stays away from the edge and, at least in simulation, never touches it - the freecad simulator and camotics agree here)

* on deburring circular edges, the simulator just does a plunge; the gcode looks fine (it draws a circle), but see previous point
Ok. I haven't investigated it yet but if true it will be a bug in the deburr op, not the toolbit. Please consider starting a different thread so this can be addressed properly.
All in all, I didn't see anything break catastrophically (not sure the deburring stuff falls within the scope of this effort), so the button cleanups in the job editor might be the only glaring issue.
Thanks for the thorough test.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Regarding the 'add' button in the job. How do you think I should fix it?

1) Remove it entirely

2) Use it to open the file selection dialog so the user can add a toolbit directly from the disk

3) Check if the dock is open, if not open it, otherwise do nothing.

4) something else
m0n5t3r

Post by m0n5t3r »

sliptonic wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:25 pm I'm not sure what's going on here. Both numpy and pivy are used widely throughout FreeCAD.
Strange, for some reason apt-get build-dep freecad-daily didn't install them, even if they're listed in build-depends; you're right, they are already in the package dependencies (edit: numpy isn't, but I guess it's required by something else in that list)
sliptonic wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:27 pm Regarding the 'add' button in the job. How do you think I should fix it?
I think opening the dock (or a tool selection window) would be the least jarring option, otherwise we'll have a dialog with "edit", "remove" and no "add".
m0n5t3r

Post by m0n5t3r »

sliptonic wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:25 pm Ok. I haven't investigated it yet but if true it will be a bug in the deburr op, not the toolbit. Please consider starting a different thread so this can be addressed properly.
while building a test piece for the new thread I discovered the default chamfer bit is not there; going to use the one in your branch anyway (turns out the bit I defined for my own 90 degree v-bit behaves correctly, at least as far as the chamfering goes)

edit: so, after a bunch more testing, it seems the chamfer tool being off belongs here, as it's based on a shape introduced in this branch, and that shape is the problem somehow: v-bits work, chamfer bits don't, so I guess some of the calculations are thrown off by the different interpretation of the cutter angle (v-bits use the included angle, chamfer uses half of the included angle)
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

Toolbits are in the wild:
toolbits.png
toolbits.png (4.19 KiB) Viewed 1224 times

Check out the youtube video:
https://youtu.be/Xgsm3jfHkZ4

Thanks,

Dan