Lost my work and cannot find it

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
foxint

Re: Lost my work and cannot find it

Post by foxint »

Gentlemen

Thank you for your comments.

Some of your language confuses me, like: padded; nested closed paths; nesting.

I did not know that an essential part of the triangle was the circle. When I rounded the points, the “rounded” triangle” lost the circle. I did not know one had to tack it back to the circle.

I am sorry, the whole concept of the spread sheet linking into the drawing, is totally foreign to me. I have never come across this until this post.

I did try and constrain the triangles with measurements. Then ChrisB said I had too many constraints – so it seemed like I was between a rock and a hard place.

All your comments are great. Thank you. This is not my day job, but I do like the CAD. I have watched many videos, but even the basic one starts basic and in the second one launch into 3D. So I just get confused.

So I am trying practical things (like my PC front – my apologies for not telling you want is was), and working my way. Eventually I may get to 3D, but currently with all the comments it scared the pants of me.

Sorry for making a mess.

I am not even going to ask for guidance. Again I am sorry.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

For a triangle you don't need the construction circle. It is used here for convenience to get the center of the triangle.

To learn about sketching step by step, you may have a look at one of the documents linked in my signature, probably the English one. It discusses the different geometric elements and the different constraints including some exercises.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
foxint

Post by foxint »

Hi ChrisB

Thank you.

I have started again. It took a while to get the triangle to connect with the circle. I have made a new part and this is making life easier....BUT.... after only 1 row of triangles the PC goes to Very High power usage.

I am still thinking my GPU or CPU is not good for the job???

The reason for the triangles is I like the look.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

foxint wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:52 pm the PC goes to Very High power usage.
How many constraints do you have? 150 shouldn't be problem, even on outdated hardware.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
foxint

Post by foxint »

hi ChrisB

Thank you.

Part 1 - 181
Part 2 - 136
Part 3 - 196

??
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

With these numbers it is ok if your computer's cpu usage goes up.
foxint

Post by foxint »

ChrisB

Thank you.

I am also finding the copy past..make the circles = around the triangles....some change size??

??
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Everything not being constraint can be subject to changes. A circle is constrained when its position is fixed (two degrees of freedom) and the radius (one degree of freedom).
foxint

Post by foxint »

hi ChrisB

Chris and everyone have been great. I have learnt a lot. Not sure if I managed to learn everything. I am still lost with the spreadsheet and many of the simple terms.

I did manage to complete the build. Not as good as I would have like it...but.

To confirm, this is a 4U 19" rack mount front (to be made from 3mm Aluminium laser cut). The elongated holes are for attaching to the rack and the enclosure and the triangles are for air flow past 2 fans and 4 holes are for 2 switches and 2 lights. Hope that makes sense.

I have a question....I am trying to export to pdf...but I cannot seem to highlight ALL the parts, many are left out and the pdf is missing all the bits. I know I am stupid and it is as simple as...but I have been trying for a long time and nothing.

I took a break and my middle daughter went to Oberon for a late lunch. About 1.3hrs from here...We are lucky as the bush is basically Corona-free. But we did keep a respectable 1.5m away from people.

Thanks again...if someone can show me how to highlight all the bits to make a pdf...please

thank you - here is the file.. . happy to take criticism.
Attachments
X299-Case-4U-Front-Panel-Switches-Holes-final-2020-11-22.FCStd
(77.78 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If the measures are supposed to be exact, you have to create a TechDraw drawing first. The common pdf export is just an arbitrarily scaled image.