FreeCAD laggy and crashes

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jlt199

FreeCAD laggy and crashes

Post by jlt199 »

Linux Fedora 33
FrreCAD 0.18
32GB RAM
AMD Ryzen 9 3900xt
Radeon RX 5500 XT graphics

Why is FreeCAD so laggy and crashing so often? My first PC build and I'm new to FreeCAD too. Did I buy the wrong thing?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD laggy and crashes

Post by jmaustpc »

jlt199 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:50 am Why is FreeCAD so laggy and crashing so often?
it's not. So possibly an old or a packaging issue? Where did you get FreeCAD from, which version/packaging system?

jlt199 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:50 amFrreCAD 0.18
install FreeCAD 0.19 and see if your problems disappear. If you still get problems then post the error messages. FreeCAD uses OpenGL, it's not impossible that your are seeing some GPU driver issue.
jlt199 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:50 am Linux Fedora 33
You could try Ubuntu or Kubuntu, and then have access to the daily FreeCAD from the daily PPA.
jlt199 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:50 am Did I buy the wrong thing?

No..... Oh wait, yes, that is a terrible computer so terrible I suggest you through it away, in fact I will take it away for you! Only joking, I am actually rather jealous! :)
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

I assume that you are not trying to run FreeCAD in a virtual machine? You have installed a real Linux partition?
jlt199

Post by jlt199 »

Real partition, I'm only running Linux on my computer.

Great, I thought I had a hardware incompatibility. I will try and figure out how to update FreeCAD and switch to Ubuntu if I can't
jlt199

Post by jlt199 »

I installed from the terminal

Code: Select all

sudo dnf install freecad
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Why is FreeCAD so laggy and crashing so often? My first PC build and I'm new to FreeCAD too. Did I buy the wrong thing?
Well this could be an issue with Qt and the graphic driver. Since you use FreeCAD v0.18 the chance is high that it still uses the old Qt4 version. Switch to v0.19 that comes with Qt5.

What you should also try is to run FreeCAD from a terminal. In case it crashes it shows you a call stack and this helps to better locate the problem.
jlt199

Post by jlt199 »

Thanks, I have update FreeCAD 0.19. Now my scroll wheel isn't working. Any ideas?

Also, what is the command to run from the terminal please?
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

Start_up_and_Configuration

small general note, might be time to improve this section in Frequently_asked_questions#FreeCAD_crashes_on_startup
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

jlt199 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:51 am Thanks, I have update FreeCAD 0.19. Now my scroll wheel isn't working. Any ideas?
there was a bug with one version of QT that effected the mouse wheel recently, but that was a QT bug not FreeCAD. I have no idea if that is the problem now or not though. Perhaps you could try the mouse wheel in some other QT5 based application and see if it works there or not?
jlt199 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:51 am Also, what is the command to run from the terminal please?
you just simply type "freecad" in the terminal/command line, if you type "freecad -h" you will get the help data that explains all the options.

Note that on Ubuntu you can install both a "release" version 0.18 and a "daily" version 0.19
compiled daily from our master branch and distributed/updated via your package manager via our PPA. To run the "daily" freecad version, the commands are the same except rather than typing "freecad", you type "freecad-daily".

The help data will tell you how to write a log file.
jlt199

Post by jlt199 »

Thanks, I tried the command freecad, but I got an error

I hadn't realised terminal is case sensitive. "FreeCAD" worked

I have no idea what to do about Qt5 though. I have no idea which applications use it, or even what it is.