Toolbits. SERIOUS EFFORT NEEDED

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Toolbits. SERIOUS EFFORT NEEDED

Post by Kunda1 »

:rocket:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

Very convenient stuffs done here, thanks a lot guys, impressive 8-)
And thanks aslo for the video @sliptonic, much appreciated!
Forthman
Veteran

Post by Forthman »

I can't wait to be able to use all this! :D

I tried to create a new tool, but they are stored in /usr/share/freecad-daily /Mod/Path/Tools/
and only superuser can write in it.

Is it possible to move datas of custom toolbits ?
(or another solution )
spanner888

Post by spanner888 »

Forthman wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:35 pm Is it possible to move datas of custom toolbits ?
(or another solution )
The draft documentation says "The user, however, is free to store their toolbits and libraries anywhere they wish. Even custom toolshapes can be stored in arbitrary locations where they can be backed up"

There is also an option in Path Tools preferences to remember last library.
Forthman
Veteran

Post by Forthman »

sorry! :oops:
I was so excited my brain stopped, I didn't even try to save the toolbit in another directory :P

I will calm down and do more tests :mrgreen:
jbraun

Post by jbraun »

m0n5t3r wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:20 pm edit: so, after a bunch more testing, it seems the chamfer tool being off belongs here, as it's based on a shape introduced in this branch, and that shape is the problem somehow: v-bits work, chamfer bits don't, so I guess some of the calculations are thrown off by the different interpretation of the cutter angle (v-bits use the included angle, chamfer uses half of the included angle)
Here's something that's a bit confusing in the legacy tool editor. Finding no v-bit option I choose engraver as tool description for v-carving. The image in the tool editor suggests the included angle is the proper value to enter but to get reasonable results I needed to enter

Code: Select all

180 - included_angle
I haven't been brave enough to try the new tools so mention it in this thread in case the new tools define this more clearly.
For English help on youtube check out Joko Engineering or Mango Jelly Solutions.
Look for recent videos, this software is updated at a rapid pace.
bmsaus4ax

Post by bmsaus4ax »

Forthman wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:35 pm
Is it possible to move datas of custom toolbits ?
(or another solution )
this may no longer be required, but I used terminal to change ownership and permission of the tools directory in /usr....... with sudo and chown and chmod and then copied the directory and contents to ' .FreeCAD ' under my home directory .
This survives appimage updates, not done daily build updates since moving to appimage so cannot confirm for that.
cox

Post by cox »

Very nice progress gentlepeople,

Installed the FreeCad-daily to test the toolbit system, a 3mm end-mill was already fixed on my machine so the first thing i did was create a new mill to represent this tool. Struggling to make this work, it turns out that the tool geometry gets invalid when shank and diameter are equal. I can not immediately see the perfect simple solution besides splitting the tool into shank and cutting section and revolve them separately. Another dirty trick could be to ad a inconsequential distance to the shank length so the points does not coincide, but i would strongly try to avoid this.

Please test if you can replicate this issue!

Give me a heads up if you want me to make a bug report.

Code: Select all

Running the Python command 'Path_Simulator' failed:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/freecad-daily/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathSimulatorGui.py", line 555, in Activated
    pathSimulation.Activate()
  File "/usr/share/freecad-daily/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathSimulatorGui.py", line 110, in Activate
    self.SimulateMill()
  File "/usr/share/freecad-daily/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathSimulatorGui.py", line 200, in SimulateMill
    self.SetupSimulation()
  File "/usr/share/freecad-daily/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathSimulatorGui.py", line 136, in SetupSimulation
    self.SetupOperation(0)
  File "/usr/share/freecad-daily/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathSimulatorGui.py", line 160, in SetupOperation
    raise RuntimeError("Path Simulation: Error in tool geometry - {}".format(self.tool.Name))

Path Simulation: Error in tool geometry - ToolBit004
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: 983e513704a659c1008fbaf95da6a34975cc37ac
Python version: 3.8.6
Qt version: 5.14.2
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
3mm_endmill.png
3mm_endmill.png (72.4 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

cox wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:07 pm Another dirty trick could be to ad a inconsequential distance to the shank length so the points does not coincide, but i would strongly try to avoid this.

Please test if you can replicate this issue!
This is a known issue, although I do not know if a formal bug report has been filed. I use the same "dirty trick" that you do.

The straightforward solution is to create a new tool type with a straight shank from end to end. Probably not ideal since now one would have two separate tool types for an ordinary end mill.

Gene