Lost my work and cannot find it

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
foxint

Re: Lost my work and cannot find it

Post by foxint »

Hi Guys….

WOW….thank you.

I have no reason why I wanted to use triangles. Circles would do fine. But I probably do no have the skill to do either.

Can I use the file and send it to the laser cutter?? Which one is the final.

I am overwhelmed with the interest – thank you.

Will be 31 here in Orange…so that is hot.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

foxint wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:46 pm Can I use the file and send it to the laser cutter?? Which one is the final.
It depends on what the laser cutter wants. Ask him what input format he accepts, e.g. a STEP file; you can export that from FreeCAD.

The final is the one you decide to be final. You can e.g. take the last file I uploaded ...
chrisb wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:52 pm And here is another proposal ...
https://forum.freecadweb.org/download/f ... ?id=133758
... and adapt it to your final desires.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
foxint

Post by foxint »

Hi ChrisB

Nice file. Wish I had your skill. Plus, the file is so small. I see no reason to mess with perfection.

I did try to see what you did....but far above my head. Very complex.

Thank you all for time you guys obviously spent.

I am almost temped to ask if I got anything right. but I have had enough rejection this year I do not want any more.

I think the laser cutters like dxf so I will go with that. I am glad it is only 2D…I am not sure what I sort of mess I would have with 3D.

Perhaps I need to do a deal with someone??? Seriously there is no one out here in the bush with anywhere near as much talent as you guys.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

foxint wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:27 am I did try to see what you did....but far above my head. Very complex.
Thanks for the compliment. Although the model may look complicated it isn't. But the ideas behind it are not trivial either. I learned myself a lot by trying to find solutions to problems and questions asked by other users. I often failed and was surprised by the solutions which finally came up.
You have already tried yourself, now comes the second part: understand a foreign model. Look at it step by step. Try to understand the first sketch. Look at its Placement. Now open it in edit mode: It is mainly based on equality constraints. Next look at the pad. It is easy to understand as there is nothing special in it. Now look at the multitransform: Starting with the pocket, you can turn it around to get a full rosette. And then you can mirror it to get the other side.

As an exercise I recommend to rework the first sketch: You should try to minimize the number of dimensions used. Use equality and symmerty instead. Or you can even try to model only half or a quarter of it and use mirrors to get the rest of it.
You can upload your result here for further comments.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
foxint

Post by foxint »

Hi Chris,

I am serious, you are a very clever man. I thank you for spending so much time.

Your variation on my mess was brilliant.

I have emailed this plus a few of my abominations to the laser cutter. I am trying to keep calm, while my wife’s lawyer attack we for breathing. She cheated on me and she left…now she thinks she can have the lot…

Anyway, I redid my bottom and top plate with slots. Triangles were a little too challenging.

How does one use symmetry? I understand the equals and horizontal and vertical constraints.

Here is todays thing…

Musings from the AU Bush
Attachments
PSU-Case-2U-12V-004-Top&Bottom-Slot-45x5 - NEW.FCStd
(56.34 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

foxint wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:12 am How does one use symmetry? I understand the equals and horizontal and vertical constraints.
look at the english document linked in my signature.
Here is todays thing…
You should do this similar to the triangle thing. Make it in 3D and create a pocket for just two slots. Then multiply them with a MultiPattern containing two linar patterns.
During your learning process you should really avoid repititons!
foxint

Post by foxint »

Hi Guys,

Hope everyone is well to the run up to Christmas. The news about Corona is not great.

I was hoping someone could tell me or help...I am trying to send dxf files to the laser cutter. All are Ok except the file that ChrisB helped me with...I owe you my gratitude for your help and patience.

I have done the dxf save as 3 times

Can someone look at the file and give me a hand??

Sorry to be so stupid. But I "think" I am doing the same thing...I highlight everything in the tree and then hit export to....

Thanks

Dummy from the Bush
Attachments
Case-4U-X299-Front-Panel-cb-02-2020-12-15.dxf
(723.11 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Case-4U-X299-Front-Panel-cb.FCStd
(243.49 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

I am on my phone so can't check just now, but based on your comments the answer looks to be that you selected everything in the tree, you should only select one thing, the thing you want, not all the work to create it. Usually the desired output is just the last stage in your dedign of the object you are trying to export
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

No idea how you managed that, but the dxf is 3D.
0.png
0.png (20.6 KiB) Viewed 454 times

Just:
01.gif
01.gif (346.04 KiB) Viewed 454 times
Sometimes a second empty shape appear. Just delete it and export the shape.

Greetings
user1234
foxint

Post by foxint »

Hi Mate,

Thanks for the answer

Can you slow it down. I am totally lost.

i could not replicate your video.

So I highlighted the Last Header in the tree - MultiTransform (not sure what that means) and hit export. I do not have anything to view dxf....is this what I want???

Dummy from the Bush
Attachments
Case-4U-X299-Front-Panel-cb-02-2020-12-15-MultiTransform.dxf
(317.06 KiB) Downloaded 18 times