My Arch Project : 17x9m Renovation Heightening

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rockn
Veteran

My Arch Project : 17x9m Renovation Heightening

Post by rockn »

Hi everyone,
I have started to model an arch project.
I want to share with you my impressions :
Arch Space : very cool feature to get the area of the building. I notice than the area calcul don't work with floor's walls. But we can override the information.
Arch Wall :Very cool too. But to make the gables it's easier with a sketch and ArchStructure function.
Arch Window : the window presets are awesome !
Arch Section allow me to have a ready to export draft. Very useful.
Arch Floor is very cool to manage the document and in the futur to adjust the altitude of a floor. However, it already sets the height of the walls. Just set 0 mm to the height of Arch Wall that is in the Floor.
It's just annoying that the windows and the section arrow still visible all the time.
To manage the roofs. I started with sketchs and make an Arch Structure.
I copy this sketch every time to make all objets that need the angle or precise dimension of the roof.
But If i want to change something on the roof I need to modifiy each copy that based on the roof sketch.
I have yet to find the ultimate workflow. But it's more fun to draw on FreeCAD. You should know that I'm just a carpenter technician. About the subject roof Yorik, if you want returns of using software construction wood (carpentry, roofing) I know of two and there may be things you can learn.
Thanks.
Formations - Assistance - Développement : https://freecad-france.com
bernd
Veteran

Re: My Arch Project : 17x9m Renovation Heightening

Post by bernd »

Yeah. It's a really cool modell you did.
rockn wrote:... It's just annoying that the windows and the section arrow still visible all the time....
+1
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Wow!! Amazing work rockn! Your feedback is also very precious. So far not many people besides me use the Arch module.
I just solved the problem of the arrows that appear through objects when I recoded the dimensions, I think I should be able to apply that method to the section plane too and solve the problem.

About carpentry, definitely, yes! The roof tool is still very, very basic. If you can help me to develop the arch module into something powerful for carpentry design, I'd be grateful!
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

Hey, I come back with this project.
The architecture have changed have changed and my knowledge of FreeCAD is much better. :)
The bad is the file take one hour to open... :(

About Carpentry, I start write something in english but it is too draft...
But basically what I see for roof objet is :
The base of a roof still a polygone but it could be a single line. Because the base of one roof plane is a line. The roof plan
Should one can assign a profile to each edge of the base. In component property or Edit mode ?
A profile is the minimal informations to calculate the roof plan and the roof connection :
For Close wire : Angle, Roofhoverhang
For wire : Angle, Roofhoverhang, Width, it could be calculate by low altitude slope, altitude ridge and Roofhoverhang, and many more ;)
And the particular roof profil is 90°, it need to create a gable wall (or not, lets have choice).
So one line is a mono roof.
Example with a rectangle. We define the two lines of the width with a profil of 90° and the two line of length with a profil of 35° and we have two symmetrical roof slope.
Perhaps we need a convention to the direction of line when we draw it. In boths cad software I know we have to draw line in counterclockwise to make roof. But it's not very good if we want modify/transform/add lines to the roof.

A easy thing to do actually is to add roof hoverhang in roof property, but i try and I have not been able... :(
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Wow!! VERY impressive. Can I use one of these images on the homepage?
rockn wrote:The bad is the file take one hour to open... :(
Yeah that is always the bad side of parametric design... Normandc posted an interesting article against parametric modeling a couple of weeks ago... Sometimes it is better to use simpler, dumb objects. But I think the assembly module should help a lot with that, allowing you to build complex parametric shapes in one file, and add that file as a dumb shape in another.

About the roof object: great thoughts... I don't understand totally well the idea of a single line. Could you give me (or maybe, draw) an example? Do you mean the line would be the base of a signle roof pane?

The overhang is indeed a good idea. And also, of course, being able to define different inclinations for the different parts of the roof. But I'm still not too sure about how to do that efficiently. Ideally I'd like to still be able to draw a roof on top of a closed polyline. Maybe a property that would contain a series of angles, like (45, 90, 90, 45)
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

yorik wrote:Wow!! VERY impressive. Can I use one of these images on the homepage?
Yes of course I would be glad. :)
yorik wrote:About the roof object: great thoughts... I don't understand totally well the idea of a single line. Could you give me (or maybe, draw) an example? Do you mean the line would be the base of a signle roof pane?
Yes the line is the reference for a singl roof pane.
Except eventually offset. The plane passes through the roof base line with a certain angle to the normal to the XY plane of the base line.
The single line :
Roof.fcstd
(33.82 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
roof.png
roof.png (253.29 KiB) Viewed 9228 times
The base is the red line. The white lines are the "sketch" profil (the informations are hoverhang = 2, width house = 15, "ridge height = 5) , the wireframe object is the roof plan I want.

If the wire is not close :
roof2.png
roof2.png (64.82 KiB) Viewed 9228 times
This is the same except the need to adapt the roof connections.

It allow the user to create roof for a terrace.
yorik wrote:But I'm still not too sure about how to do that efficiently. Ideally I'd like to still be able to draw a roof on top of a closed polyline. Maybe a property that would contain a series of angles, like (45, 90, 90, 45)
I would see an Edition that will list the edges of the base object mode, and you can define a profile for each of them.
You will remain able to put a roof directly onto a rectangle, the default is the same angle for each.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I think I see the idea... Indeed very good. We must definitely try to do that. Indeed it would be much more flexible than the current "automatic" roof. One thing I'm still not happy, though, is that your method would require a lot of additional objects (the profiles). I'd prefer to find a solution that is easier to handle, like for example, a roof be based on only one object, all the rest would be done with properties. Ideally the base object should be a kind of "skeleton"... Not sure how we can do that easily, I must think a bit more.

Another thing is that the current automatic roof creates a solid, which is not very useful. the roof tool should create a set of faces, that can be extruded of a certain value. The extrusion is tricky, because it has to extrude in the normal direction, but when joining with the adjacent faces, it should create a proper joint.
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

Don't worry, the sketch is not needed I draw it to explain how the line can the base ;) All can be done with property and calculs.
Of course in both carpentry cad software I know we can edit manually (I also mean visually) the profil, but I think it's not usefull now.
The base object can be anything that have edge (except solid ?). The skeleton is the chosen edge.
Yes the actual roof solid is not very usefull. Note : For me, the roof complex contains only the roof cover, fastening elements and support. Actually I always draw a parallelogram with vertical edge at extremity and parralel edge for the lenght with angle and extrude it. What interests me is the bottom edge, where I'm going to put my piece frames.
I think we should extrude each face in the Z direction with the hypotenuse length calculated of the triangle formed by the length of the roof thickness (normal to the slope) and the vertically in the plane of the profile property.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

yorik wrote:Another thing is that the current automatic roof creates a solid, which is not very useful. the roof tool should create a set of faces, that can be extruded of a certain value. The extrusion is tricky, because it has to extrude in the normal direction, but when joining with the adjacent faces, it should create a proper joint.
Hi Yorik
Could you do that with the Part offset tool?

Perhaps something like, first create a shell from the adjoining faces the apply the Part offset with some of its options, like fill offset, to the shell. Part Offset can then work out the joint part.

This example is done in the GUI from two Part Planes with fill offset selected but other settings left to their defaults.
roof_tests.fcstd
(11.54 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Jim
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

a screen shot of the roof from Part Offset of a shell.
rooffromoffset.jpg
rooffromoffset.jpg (9.4 KiB) Viewed 9195 times