Hole dialog discussion

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: Hole dialog discussion

Post by uwestoehr »

wmayer wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:20 pm git commit 5aac143e6
Many thanks!
Grub

Post by Grub »

Hello

"counterbore" and "countersink" are not translated, is the translation planned in future versions?
Capture d’écran (17).png
Capture d’écran (17).png (7.88 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Grub wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:04 am Hello

"counterbore" and "countersink" are not translated, is the translation planned in future versions?
Capture d’écran (17).png
You can translate them via Crowdin, just create an account. I should check if those changes are even available to be translated.

Edit: the commits haven't been pushed to the translators to be translated yet. But in the meantime you can help translate. We should be pushing translations to crowdin very soon since we're around the time getting ready for the release of v0.19 which means a feature freeze is close.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Grub

Post by Grub »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:59 am
You can translate them via Crowdin, just create an account. I should check if those changes are even available to be translated.

Edit: the commits haven't been pushed to the translators to be translated yet. But in the meantime you can help translate. We should be pushing translations to crowdin very soon since we're around the time getting ready for the release of v0.19 which means a feature freeze is close.
I created my crowdin account 6 months ago and I've already participated in translating a little more than a hundred hits, that's why I was wondering why it still hadn't been implemented since then but there's no urgency, it's not very important at this point of development.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Grub wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:53 am I created my crowdin account 6 months ago and I've already participated in translating a little more than a hundred hits, that's why I was wondering why it still hadn't been implemented since then but there's no urgency, it's not very important at this point of development.
Apologies and thank you for translating!
Thanks for bringing this up. I just solved (PR) a pending typo fix found by a translator (love when that happens, lol). We should be pushing another update very soon. Cheers!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:25 pm Indeed, one might have a sketch with for example 5 points because one needs 5 holes arranged at the edges of a rectangle and one hole directly at the sketch origin. Then indeed it is impossible to see where the points are and where the points of the reference geometry and/or the origin.

So I agree, that maybe in general a single point object should look different than endpoints and the origin.

Inviting Abdullah for his opinion.
With PR (https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4179), the sketcher will have defining point support.
Screenshot_20201221_200815.png
Screenshot_20201221_200815.png (15.74 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
Sorry it took me so long...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

And again a long awaited improvement. Thanks!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

abdullah wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:09 pm With PR (https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4179), the sketcher will have defining point support.
Great! But how does it work? When I create a sketch and add a point, the use the Hole dialog no hole is created where the point is.

I think there are some issues:
- when I create a new sketch and first add a driving point then a point as reference geometry, they both look the same:
I99qBFCNwW.gif
I99qBFCNwW.gif (195.36 KiB) Viewed 1708 times

However, for the other geometry objects referencing objects appear blue.

In the screencast you see the second, very minor issue:
- after their creation bots points appear in the elements list the same (blue cross), When you hover with the mouse the first time over the elements list, they appears then as green dots, however still the same view, despite one is a referencing point, not a driving one.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.23492 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 52c2e7eff697f7e059fd99f5fbd9ed9a8687198c
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.1
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

uwestoehr wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:19 pm
abdullah wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:09 pm With PR (https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4179), the sketcher will have defining point support.
Great! But how does it work? When I create a sketch and add a point, the use the Hole dialog no hole is created where the point is.
There is a caveat here. I did not say that I had implemented the defining point in the hole feature. In fact, I have never looked at the code of the hole feature. I am just providing you with a "Vertex" within the shape created by the sketcher.

Similarly, it should be possible to loft into a vertex (as part loft does). However, it is not implemented in PartDesign yet.
uwestoehr wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:19 pm I think there are some issues:
- when I create a new sketch and first add a driving point then a point as reference geometry, they both look the same:

However, for the other geometry objects referencing objects appear blue.
A point was intended not to depend on the insertion mode. The reason is that a (legacy) user would reasonably expect that a point is created as construction irrespective of the creation mode. If I would not code it that way, a user wanting a non-defining point would need to switch to construction to create it. I thought this would be inconvenient, but I have no strong feelings about it. It can certainly be changed.

Rather it was intended that if the user wants a point to be defining, which is rather exceptional, the user should select it and hit the toggle button in the toolbar.

As said, that is something that can be changed. It is up to the Community the behaviour they want to have ;)
uwestoehr wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:19 pm In the screencast you see the second, very minor issue:
- after their creation bots points appear in the elements list the same (blue cross), When you hover with the mouse the first time over the elements list, they appears then as green dots, however still the same view, despite one is a referencing point, not a driving one.
I am aware that the element widgets is not updating right after a toggle construction operation. It is something I need to look into.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

chrisb wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:46 pm And again a long awaited improvement. Thanks!
I feel it is rather worthless at the moment, save for using sketcher defined points as references in the attachment editor. However, I thought it was important to remove the existing limitation and let others have implement features or macros on it as needed before the v0.19 release.