PartDesign Next - additive box to center

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pablogil

Re: PartDesign Next - additive box to center

Post by pablogil »

I still find very handy a box primitive with its origin in the volume center not in a corner... it would save me (and I guess more people) a lot of time.

What about considering it as a brand new primitive?
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

pablogil wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:23 pm What about considering it as a brand new primitive?
+1

We advocate symmetry all the time.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

I think this would pose problems for attachment. Or rather it only shifts the problem to attachment.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Another more general idea: It would be great if primitive templates could be included: Create a primitive, set various properties, and save as template. This would work only with references not going outside of the object.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:19 pm Another more general idea: It would be great if primitive templates could be included: Create a primitive, set various properties, and save as template. This would work only with references not going outside of the object.
+1
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
hmk

Post by hmk »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:19 pm Another more general idea: It would be great if primitive templates could be included: Create a primitive, set various properties, and save as template. This would work only with references not going outside of the object.
(Bumping this thread.)

Could this idea / feature request be proposed in the bug tracker? (I am not familiar with the procedure.)
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

many might want a cube that is centred on origin of zy plane but not z. Where do you stop with making the same primitive with different origins?

It would save time but all you have to do to work around this is go to the offset and enter an expression in the XYZ offset of
x
"Length/2"

y
"Width/2"

z
"Height/2"

and it will be, and stay being, attached to Body Origin Assuming you attached it to XY axis plane on creation.