[Crash] Sketcher: Trimming slot results in crasher

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Crash] Sketcher: Trimming slot results in crasher

Post by chrisb »

davidosterberg wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:35 pm If we consider point-on-curve to be overlapping, then I don't see why coincident should not be considered overlapping.
I am no friend of too fancy and tricky functions. So I am all with Gene here. If you want to delete an arc, delete it. If you want to trim a line trim it. But don't use some other function for it. There may be users who will appreciate it, but there will also be users, who don't.

There is something fundamentally different between point-on-object and coincidence. In the general case point on object means that one line ends there, while the other doesn't; so there is something which can be trimmed. Coincidence means the both coincident elements end there and nothing is to be trimmed.

The wiki may describe things wrong, then either the wiki or the implementation should be fixed. I hope we can agree that we cannot derive from this, that anything coded is questionable.

Errors can in many cases be handled more gracefully, and perhaps this should at most throw a warning. But it shouldn't do anything with the sketch.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
davidosterberg

Post by davidosterberg »

chrisb wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:22 am I am no friend of too fancy and tricky functions. So I am all with Gene here. If you want to delete an arc, delete it. If you want to trim a line trim it. But don't use some other function for it. There may be users who will appreciate it, but there will also be users, who don't.
You guys are consistently old school :)
chrisb wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:22 am There is something fundamentally different between point-on-object and coincidence. In the general case point on object means that one line ends there, while the other doesn't; so there is something which can be trimmed. Coincidence means the both coincident elements end there and nothing is to be trimmed.
I guess what you mean is, there is nothing left after trimming?

In this video you can see that Fusion 360 allows to trim away complete segments: https://youtu.be/6Jl82sKd5L8?t=243. I will check what Creo does tomorrow at work. I know you don't consider that an argument in itself. But at least it looked convenient in the video.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

The Trim function does awkward things. Irrespective of whether refusing to trim may or may not be the intended behaviour, it has problems regarding wrapping around 2*pi. Chrisb's is a good example of that. Which is motivating me to work on it.

I am currently working towards refactoring the trim function and adding some goodies (that are convenient for testing the functionality).
Screenshot_20210114_084411.png
Screenshot_20210114_084411.png (3.31 KiB) Viewed 941 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

davidosterberg wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:53 am You guys are consistently old school :)
Thanks! We call it experience.
davidosterberg wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:53 am In this video you can see that Fusion 360 allows to trim away complete segments: https://youtu.be/6Jl82sKd5L8?t=243.
The continuous mode looks indeed interesting. You may have noted that the author warns not to touch any unwanted part though. I still dare to claim, that it is in most cases unwanted to remove a whole geometric element, because in most cases it wouldn't have been created in the first place.

I mean we are in Sketcher, we construct a new sketch, and in some cases what we did is wrong, and has to be removed. But this is not the most common use case when trimming.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
davidosterberg

Post by davidosterberg »

chrisb wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:14 am I still dare to claim, that it is in most cases unwanted to remove a whole geometric element, because in most cases it wouldn't have been created in the first place.
Disagree. I think that if the user clicked on the line it was because he wanted it gone. Why else would he click on it with the trim tool active. For sure he is careful where he clicks when using this tool.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Well, the new trimming handler shows where it is going to cut before clicking, so that you know what to expect...
davidosterberg

Post by davidosterberg »

abdullah wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:45 pm Well, the new trimming handler shows where it is going to cut before clicking, so that you know what to expect...
Awesome Abdullah. Keep them coming!
davidosterberg

Post by davidosterberg »

davidosterberg wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:53 am I will check what Creo does tomorrow at work. I know you don't consider that an argument in itself. But at least it looked convenient in the video.
Ok, not quite tomorrow. But here it goes. As you can see, Creo 7 supports trimming whole segments. Both in click mode, and continuous mode.
Really there is nothing strange about it. It is how it is done.
Attachments
trim_whole_segments.gif
trim_whole_segments.gif (229.06 KiB) Viewed 805 times
continous_trim.gif
continous_trim.gif (212.3 KiB) Viewed 805 times