BOLTS Open Library of Technical Specifications

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jreinhardt

Re: BOLTS Open Library of Technical Specifications

Post by jreinhardt »

bernd wrote:Got it, thanks again Johannes.
jreinhardt wrote: ... I think that BOLTS should be able to provide the same parts under different names, ...
as well as in differnt languages.
Thats also on the todo list, but this will probably be handled on a different level. I was thinking of teaching BOLTS to write pot files for all strings that one might want to translate (e.g. parameter, class and collection descriptions, name templates, ...). This could then be thrown onto one of the many collaborative translation platforms that can deal with gettext. Then the BOLTS widget and the website could be adapted to use translated strings if necessary.
BOLTS, standard parts library for FreeCAD Thread, Help with Translation
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Here we are. https://github.com/berndhahnebach/BOLTS/tree/ibeam

The documentation chart is still missing. Buy the way Johannes, debugging using your script bolts.py is just great.
Attachments
screen.jpg
screen.jpg (49.76 KiB) Viewed 2330 times
jreinhardt

Post by jreinhardt »

That looks great!

With documentation chart, do you mean the drawing that shows the dimensions, or the diagram on the collection page that shows the relationship between classes, standards and geometries?

The latter is automatically generated (if you have graphviz installed), but you do not need to take care of that, I will do it when I merge.

So all that is missing is a drawing (http://jreinhardt.github.io/BOLTS/doc/g ... awing.html), then I will your branch.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

jreinhardt wrote:... the drawing that shows the dimensions ...
That one. As soon as I find a minute I'm gone do it.
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

I am glad you like it. If you are interested, we can think about how to integrate BOLTS into FreeCAD more tightly, or if it makes sense to include it in the release packages and installer. Maybe not immediately, BOLTS is still very much in flow, but maybe in the medium term.
definitely! We should go for a module in FreeCAD, maybe with a mechanism to update the catalog files or add additional catalogs.

In midterm I will surly use it in Assembly. Since I allways have the idea of drag and drop catalog parts from a browser (even a web-site) into a product tree or directly on the 3D model (e.g. for bolts into holes). There your additional information about the parts will be really valuable!
Stop whining - start coding!
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

I had problems to create a drawing ...

http://jreinhardt.github.io/BOLTS/doc/g ... awing.html
Here is what I did:
$ python bolts.py export freecad
$ python bolts.py test freecad
freecad Version 0.14.3108 on Debian Wheezy
start BOLTS
insert a part
mark the part (its green)

Code: Select all

import BOLTS
obj = FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.ActiveObject
BOLTS.make_drawing(4.5,obj)
A Pake i created including 7 views
double klick on page
nothing is displayed ( a chess game board ;-) )
after ctrl-r nothing happens ;-)

Since I could not make the drawings I had time to ad c-beams.
jreinhardt

Post by jreinhardt »

The c-beams look good, only one thing: What do you mean by pendent in the standard field? If there is no standard yet (pending?) just leave it empty.

That is strange, I have no problems with the drawings. Which part did you add? Are there any error messages or something?

I added the drawings in my branch, you can pull them from there. Its just the drawings, so the step "Postprocessing" needs to be done. The documentation is outdated for the final step, not the .blt file has to be changed, but the .base file in the drawings directory. It should look like here
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

jreinhardt wrote:The c-beams look good, only one thing: What do you mean by pendent in the standard field? If there is no standard yet (pending?) just leave it empty. ...
It is for myself, and means I need to figure out the standard. Since there is no comment possible in blt-file format I wrote pendent. So I don't forget to fill in. I had no internet connection when I created the file.

Thanks for the drawing and the informations. I even tried using a wisher. I'm gone try again. I need to, for the c-beams and for the hollow rectangular. :mrgreen: I added them as well but did not push them to github yet. I'll use a different branch for them.

Bernd

EDIT:
Comments are possible. I've been using them allready since my first time with BOLTS for licence :o :shock: :?
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

@johannes, pushed the ibeam drawing https://github.com/berndhahnebach/BOLTS ... ed_i-beams
what's your opinion?

by the way. git is very cool, bernd
jreinhardt

Post by jreinhardt »

@bernd: Looks good to me.

@all: I will not have very much time in the next weeks, so I am thinking about pushing out a stable release, as regularly people try the 0.2 release and fail, because 0.2 is really old now.