Shape2DView Placement and Arch Section

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rockn
Veteran

Shape2DView Placement and Arch Section

Post by rockn »

I think it's a bug but it's difficult to explain.

Run FreeCAD
Create New Document
Create an Arch Object
Create an Arch Section of this object.
Set her placement different to origin placement.(I think it's almost a problem with angle)
Get a Shape2DView of this section.
archSection001.png
archSection001.png (59.8 KiB) Viewed 4695 times
Now Move the Shape2DView with the Placement Tool.
Apply change.
You would see the visual placement of Arch Section is changed, the reper of the Section seem wrong.
archSection002.png
archSection002.png (53.79 KiB) Viewed 4695 times
But when you re-open the file, it seem that Arch Section come back to her right position.
archSection.fcstd
(10.79 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Just move the Shape2DView with Placement Tool and say to me if you have the same behaviour.
Formations - Assistance - Développement : https://freecad-france.com
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Shape2DView Placement and Arch Section

Post by jmaustpc »

I get the same problem here with

Platform: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.3245 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: d632eb2843da9ccc8060df54ad36f5fd05264be1
Python version: 2.7.3
Qt version: 4.8.2
Coin version: 3.1.3
SoQt version: 1.5.0
OCC version: 6.7.0

Jim

P.S. Yorik, I was wondering why your Arch icons show up properly in the Treeview when I have not yet started the Arch workbench yet, where as the new PartDesign Gear, does not use the correct icon if you have not yet started the PartDesign workbench?

Jim
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Hmm unfortunately I can't test... There is a bug somewhere that makes my FreeCAD freeze when I select a SectionPlane :) Strange! But as soon as I solve that I'll give it a try.

@Jim, for that, the resource file (which contains the icons) must be loaded when the module initializes (at freecad startup), not when the module activates... Probably in the gear script it doesn't happen that way...
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Ok I issued a fix.
For me all seems to work fine... I'm moving the Shape2DView and the SectionPlane, changing their placement, etc, and all seems to react normally...
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

yorik wrote:Ok I issued a fix.
For me all seems to work fine... I'm moving the Shape2DView and the SectionPlane, changing their placement, etc, and all seems to react normally...
Still does it here

Version: 0.14.3247 (Git)
Hash: 2a5c51971eb6a296a464ebf00a6c5b443c06411c
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Actually Yorik I have more information for you.

The section plane actually flips orientation when you click either OK or Cancel from within the Edit menu ...Placement tool, regardless of if you have moved the Shape2DView or not....

I discovered that if you select NOTHING start the Placement tool then click OK, you obviously get "No object selected" error, but it still flips the Section Plane's orientation.

Similarly if you start Placement with nothing selected and click "cancel" it also flips the section plane....and outputs the error message "No object selected".

Jim
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

if you adjust the Placement or Angle values for any of the items in the file in TreeView...this bug does NOT show up.

Also if you use the Draft Move tool on the Shape2DView, the bug does also NOT appear.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

I see you have just updated something else in the section Plane so .....I'm still compiling.....

The bug has ....... stayed! :cry: still there.

If you just open the file, go to edit menu ...placement with nothing selected then click cancel or OK and the section plane flips orientation.

Version: 0.14.3248 (Git)
Hash: e398f3ee7ee0b2f95b79a0b423b4a4352c56721a
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Ah but I see a problem now, I don't know if it is the same as yours: the direction of the section is inverted!
At some moment in time, apparently, OCC shape direction has switched... This is fixed now.

*EDIT* :D same conclusion Jim!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Actually Yorik, I've just noticed that Arch section is not working for me at all. So I tested again in this older version below from a week or two ago, (and with older OCC 6.5.0) and Arch section doesn't work either.

Version: 0.14.3236 (Git)
Hash: 629d5cc1fe193c88d1dfefccd000bfc7cd6f9fc0
OCC version: 6.5.0

I just tried in this old version above as well as the most current version

Section planes are not placing anything in the drawing. The Arch section is supposed to put a cross section of the item its passing through into a Drawing, isn't it?

rockn's test file had a Arch section in it when I open it, but it does not have a Drawing page. But I see that if I add a new Section, it creates a Drawing Page,...but it doesn't put anything in that Drawing.

I created a test file with a default Part Box and Cylinder. I put views of the solids in the Drawing to confirm that it works and work out sensible values for position and scale in the Drawing. But I can't get the Section to show up anything.

Also if I toggle the visibility Property of the Drawing View item, in the comboview view tab, it makes no difference to the image in the drawing page, that is, the view of the cylinder stays visible and the sections remain invisible in the Drawing page.

Jim