Stand for AS365 Helicopter Hoist Trainer

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Linden

Stand for AS365 Helicopter Hoist Trainer

Post by Linden »

First off thank you to all the developers of Freecad. Here are some pictures of a recently completed project. The initial conceptual drawings and construction drawings were all done with Freecad. The FEM analysis was done by a 3rd party using solid works as I don't have the professional qualifications to certify the engineering results. The client has graciously allowed me to share some screen shots of the Freecad modelling, the fabrication drawings and some pictures of the project in progress.

This is an ex Japanese Fire Department AS365 airframe mounted on a locally fabricated stand designed in Freecad. It will be used for training people in the use of the rescue hoist for example hoist operators, search and rescue techs, ships pilots, and any one else that may need to he hoisted to or from a helicopter will all be able to train on this device prior to training on the actual aircraft.

The tech draw workbench has come a long way and is certainly capable of producing real drawings it still struggles with updating drawings after the model is updated or changed. I think this is due to the topological naming problem that is well known in Freecad but with a little ingenuity and persistence you can make it work. All the drawing and modelling was done with 0.19 daily release on an old dell laptop with a pentium I 5 8gig ram running linux mint.

Thanks again to every one that has contributed to Freecad both on the code, in the forums and web sight over the years. This has given me and countless other's the opportunity to learn how to produce 3d models and cad drawings with out the barrier to entry of a several thousand dollar a year licencing fee.
Attachments
Concept.png
Concept.png (49.45 KiB) Viewed 3182 times
Stand.png
Stand.png (26.11 KiB) Viewed 3182 times
Detail 1.png
Detail 1.png (88.62 KiB) Viewed 3182 times
Stand R.png
Stand R.png (604.65 KiB) Viewed 3182 times
Finnished.png
Finnished.png (283.71 KiB) Viewed 3182 times
Linden
emills2

Re: Stand for AS365 Helicopter Hoist Trainer

Post by emills2 »

Nice weldment drawing, and cool project! Thanks for sharing.
Linden

Post by Linden »

Thanks
Wish I could share more.
I learned a lot. Huge improvements have been made in Freecad since my last big CAD project a 30 inch anchor winch completely done in freecad 0.16.
I wish I could share some of those pictures but I don't have permission.
Linden
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

Aaah.. very cool, man.
Any chance to share the red heli-hull?
galou_breizh

Post by galou_breizh »

Nice project, I specially like the drawings. How did you cut the parts in the drawings?
Linden

Post by Linden »

The cuts in the drawing were done in a round about way. A bit of a hack really. With the part work bench I made a simple copy of the frame assembly then I used boolean cut to get rid of the parts I did not need for the drawing view. This works but it is not parametric and if you update the model you have to update the simple copy and the drawings.
Linden
Linden

Post by Linden »

The red airframe was a stl file provided to me by a third party. As it turns out the landing gear position was not very accurate. Overal length and hight were pretty close.
Linden
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

How about an air blower mounted above the door blowing downward, then add a vibration motor under the floor, then some stereo speakers blaring with loud motor noise. That would help sell the simulation. :)

Looks like good work.
galou_breizh

Post by galou_breizh »

Linden wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:50 pm The cuts in the drawing were done in a round about way. A bit of a hack really.
Ok, this was my supposition. Realthunder's Link branch already allows you to do this in a parametric way, I think.

Gaël
Linden

Post by Linden »

Aperantly there will be a green screen behind and below with vr goggles. Not sure what the buget for that is. I'm just happy it's up there and will not fall down. Big fan and load speakers sound more my style along with some flashing lights ;-)
Linden