FreeCAD wont' Fillet

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DreiD

FreeCAD wont' Fillet

Post by DreiD »

Kindly see the attached file.

I'm pretty new to FreeCAD, but not to CAD modeling in general. In fact, as a practice, I'm redoing from scratch this headphone holder that I modeled on Fusion360 (that I've also successfully 3D printed and are using right now).

I'm encountering issues with fillet. This one in particular refuses to fillet the selected edges (see attached image). I've tried every trick I know, from selecting just the adjoining edges, to selecting in a different order, filleting those edges first, etc. Even with the default value of 1mm, the body disappears from the viewport, and I get the "failed to fillet" message when I click OK. My intended radius for the fillet is 2.5mm.

If you guys can manage to fillet it (I've attached the file in question), please tell me how you did it.

FreeCAD ver.: 0.19
Attachments
FreeCAD won't fillet.png
FreeCAD won't fillet.png (182.11 KiB) Viewed 958 times
Headphone Holder.FCStd
(467.21 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
papyblaise
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD wont' Fillet

Post by papyblaise »

I can't see in the photo what angle you want to go through, I think this one
you have to make the edge and the connection at the same time, but the maximum accepted is 0.5mm
Attachments
Headphone Holder2.FCStd
(624.02 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
crochet.PNG
crochet.PNG (75.74 KiB) Viewed 948 times
DreiD

Post by DreiD »

papyblaise wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:30 am I can't see in the photo what angle you want to go through, I think this one
you have to make the edge and the connection at the same time, but the maximum accepted is 0.5mm
Yeah, something like that. But I didn't want to include that corner you have the arrow pointed to. Which is why I didn't have that side visible in the photo. I only wanted the green highlighted/selected edges to be filleted. And another set of edges (the ones on the edge of the rib) just won't fillet no matter the radius (won't even accept 0.1mm)

The thing is, I tried modeling this in Fusion 360, and I managed to fillet those selected edges to 2.5 mm radius.

I'm no programmer, so I don't know how to improve the code for FreeCAD to make what I want to do work.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

FreeCAD is weak doing fillets so maybe modify your approach. You could try to sweep the profile for instance. I deleted a bunch of stuff and thru in a sweep. This way you can avoid most of the fillets.
Attachments
clip1.JPG
clip1.JPG (44.97 KiB) Viewed 876 times
DreiD

Post by DreiD »

freedman wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:53 am FreeCAD is weak doing fillets so maybe modify your approach. You could try to sweep the profile for instance. I deleted a bunch of stuff and thru in a sweep. This way you can avoid most of the fillets.
Using Sweep didn't occur to me. I'm so used to just filleting edges in my workflow! Thanks for the tip!
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

The other profile could be made using a sweep also. You might be able to model the whole thing without fillets.
ufoDziner

Post by ufoDziner »

I'm having a similar issue with fillets. What seems to be a simple edge cannot be filleted. Is there some add-on or macro that can increase fillet capability?

chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

The image is not visible. Don't link pages containing images, link the image itself, or upload it to the forum. Use the Preview button before posting.
ufoDziner wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:08 pm Is there some add-on or macro that can increase fillet capability?
No.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.