V19 quirks

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
SpaceCase

V19 quirks

Post by SpaceCase »

Thank you for this marvelous system.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24276 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: a88db11e0a908f6e38f92bfc5187b13ebe470438
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.1
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

I noticed a difference between v18 and v19, couldn't find any "update differences" info but maybe just don't know where to look. Here's what happens: In V18, I did a lot of Trial and Error (Poke and Hope, if you prefer), trying to determine whether this Pipe goes clear through the outer rim of this Bowl, or whether the outer rim goes through the Pipe, and I have to mechanically drill it out after Printing. (I tried making the Pipe a separate Body, tried Pad-then-pocket, tried Boolean Cut of 2 Part Cylinders, tried like this method shown here. Each one had its own set of troubles, like only one Body at-a-time can go to TechDraw views, so I did Boolean Fuse, which can lead to wildly divergent results.) Often, I open 2 or more Documents at-a-time, to refer to their Sketches in creating the working Document, like this:

V18-2doca.PNG
V18-2doca.PNG (117.85 KiB) Viewed 1287 times

Notice only one Document at-a-time appears in Tree View:

V18-2docb.PNG
V18-2docb.PNG (27.15 KiB) Viewed 1287 times

In V19, both Documents appear incorporated in Tree View:

V19-2doca.PNG
V19-2doca.PNG (23.42 KiB) Viewed 1287 times
V19-2docb.PNG
V19-2docb.PNG (81.03 KiB) Viewed 1287 times

and now I'm ascared to change either one, for fear of messing up the other. Are the Documents accidently incorporated, or is this a newer, better Tree View that lets you see all but does not mix them together (that's my assumption but I like to know for sure.)?

And the 2nd quirk, when I first generated the Polar Array on the Bowl's flange, I just typed in '5' for occurrences, and it returned and error: 'recursive calling of recompute', but when I <ctrl>-z out of everything, then use the up-arrow to click up 2, 3, 4, then 5 occurrences, each iteration displayed the corresponding number of occurrences, and successfully created 5.

Thank you for your kind attention.
Attachments
Practice.FCStd
(584.87 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Bance
Veteran

Re: V19 quirks

Post by Bance »

How documents are displayed in the tree view is optional.

See:-Std_TreeSingleDocument

As to your model, working in PD WB, try to think of the body as a piece of clay each feature adds or subtracts from it but it is always only one piece of clay.

You can have more pieces of clay but they must be in their own body (NB. body not document, there can be many bodies in a document!)

(PD WB does allow for boolean operations but they are very rarely needed.)

Here is a version of your model, tidied up a bit. I don't know if it is what you wanted, anyhow you can see how it works by expanding the whole tree and making all invisible then starting at the top make each object (sketch then feature) visible.
Attachments
PracticeBance.FCStd
(329.18 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

SpaceCase wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:21 pm I noticed a difference between v18 and v19, couldn't find any "update differences" info but maybe just don't know where to look.
Would this help? Click on "See what's new".

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (34.24 KiB) Viewed 1229 times

Gene
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Gene you have to knock twice with SpaceCase :lol:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Bance wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:39 pm How documents are displayed in the tree view is optional.

See:-Std_TreeSingleDocument
This option existed already in 0.18, which means that your settings are somehow corrupted. As this can influence arbitrary places, I recommend to exit FreeCAD, delete your config files, and start anew.
As to your model, working in PD WB, try to think of the body as a piece of clay each feature adds or subtracts from it but it is always only one piece of clay.
The details and the history of this lump can be seen only while inside of the body. Outside you see only the result. Thus you must not use a feature in a Part boolean, use the whole body instead.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
SpaceCase

Post by SpaceCase »

Bance wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:49 pm Gene you have to knock twice with SpaceCase
Don't know for sure what that exactly means, but you see I got a little better at Forum Posting since bombing first trying to insert quote. Not perfect yet, as meant also to quote the laughie-smilie thingie but no! It has chosen to remain behind. Assuming knock-twice crack-wise hints that "SpaceCase" ought be "AirHead" instead, we feel it was Posted fondly.

Thank you for the "See What's New" pointer (pointer meaning advice, not memory address). This modern software is really not as hard as some people (not to mention names) make it, is it?

Remembering from forays in the Early V19 Pre-Pack Adventure a reference to fiddling with the config files, we shall seek them again, wishing earnestly to have taken notes of the Forum Posts, and assuming the config files will be automatically regenerated upon re-entering FreeCAD.

Thank Bance for the practice Document, Highly anticipating investigating. The one I attached was just one Body? or did that Toroid Cut make another Body? The same method of trimming the Pipe in the real Practice Bowl gave a red-ink " Cannot Compute Inventor Representation for the Shape of BowlCut001 " error but showed the Pipe cut off nice and neat, and I just sit there with big colorful question marks flapping about, sometimes slapping, my head, and wondering at FreeCAD calling me an Inventor.
Bance wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:39 pm See:-Std_TreeSingleDocument
This means it's time to start learning Python, right?
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

SpaceCase wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:26 am This means it's time to start learning Python, right?
Did you look at the link? Std_TreeSingleDocument

Doesn't require python skills, just read it and a veil will lift. :idea:
SpaceCase

Post by SpaceCase »

Oh.
SpaceCase

Post by SpaceCase »

Oh, heck, my last-night's Post has vanished. It was all about my search for how to delete config files, and described revisiting past Posts and searching, and how even the Post labeled "totally reset FreeCAD" didn't actually say how, and an off-Forum article all about Config files never said how to find them, and how the Web search only returns thousands of articles and Posts about every config file but FreeCAD, and how Windows Explorer search of *.conf* yielded multidozens of results, the only CADs of which were old TurboCAD, and Fusion 360, which I promptly deleted because that was supposedly uninstalled weeks ago, when I first started and decided FreeCAD was better, and how I gleaned from other Post Topic Threads to look in Appdata, and Bin, and how Appdata appears nowhere in my entire Windows Explorer Tree View, and the only Config file in FreeCAD bin is QT(pronounced 'cute').conf, and that only in V19 /bin, not v18, and how telling someone of my limited exposure to 'delete your config files' means about as much as 'megaFLOP your Flurple' and asking would you guide me.

I'm sure I clicked 'submit' but that dosen't make it true. But I promise I searched to the limits of my capability and got nothing. I can't look at the Bance practice Practice file until I get the Config uncorrupted :cry: , so, would you please guide me as near to step-by-step as your patience tolerance allows, that I may get back to work?

HW: Crappy old Celeron
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24276 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: a88db11e0a908f6e38f92bfc5187b13ebe470438
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.1
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

Thank you again forever.
SpaceCase

Post by SpaceCase »

Then, after last Post, suddenly remembered some mention of 'hidden files' from weeks ago, and found this:

TempSnip.PNG
TempSnip.PNG (75.46 KiB) Viewed 1063 times

Is this the wrong spot? Because Bin still only shows qt., and there's no config files here either.