[Ticket #4679] File zero / Master zero

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Pauvres_honteux

[Ticket #4679] File zero / Master zero

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

I hereby request a "Master zero point" at the top/beginning of every new file created, with an axis system and planes attached to it.
Realthunder has, sort of, already implemented it in his branch.
Best would be if it could be visually presented and work as "one thing". That is, the point and axis system and planes are shown as one symbol(in the tree and 3D-viewport) but can be expanded to easier select individual entities. Of course everything must be selectable from the 3D-viewport as well.
The goal is to make everything somehow connected/related to this point, plane and coordinate system.

One coordinate system rule them all !
NOT a gazillion coordinate systems!!!

This also opens up for fault tracing when one suspects misplacent of objects since you now have an guaranteed and absolute zero point, plane and coordinate system.

Of course they shall not be able to remove or move, but can be hidden and color changed.
Last edited by Pauvres_honteux on Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Request] File zero / Master zero

Post by chrisb »

Isn't global (0,0,0) already such a point?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Pauvres_honteux

Re: [Ticket #4679] File zero / Master zero

chrisb wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:59 pm Isn't global (0,0,0) already such a point?
We must then ask ourselfs:
Is it visible in the tree?
Can it be deleted?
Can it be moved?
Can it be shown/hidden?
Can you attach a axis system to it?
Can you attach planes through it?
Last edited by Pauvres_honteux on Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:47 pm Of course they shall not be able to remove or move
Pauvres_honteux wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:32 am Can it be deleted?
Can it be moved?
I don't understand what you want. These are the only important questions, the others are secondary.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

@Pauvres_honteux want the part design workflow as a general workflow for all workbenches.
I think this is not a wanted option simply not for all workbenches this is a wanted startpoint.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

I guess it's a matter of what you have in your minds eye.

In mine, I see the global coordinate system a absolute. It is there whether I have a document or not. It is there, and in the same place in all work benches.

It anchors the virtual world.

Being the reference for all other constructs, it shouldn't be capable of moving and definitely not deleting.

There can be thousands of LCS's or temporary CS's, but Global is eternal and unchanging.

At least in my mind...but, I lived through the 1960's. :mrgreen:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Pauvres_honteux

Jee-Bee wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:53 pm ... not for all workbenches this is a wanted startpoint.
This will not affect you who want to continuing with todays workflow. It just opens up for us who want to go forward and upward plus include global big corp users.
Last edited by Pauvres_honteux on Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pauvres_honteux

drmacro wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:36 pm It anchors the virtual world.
Well put sir!
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:55 pm This will not affect you who want to continuing with todays workflow. It just opens up for us who want to go forward and upward plus include global big corp users.
No it don't! This helps only the small group of engineers who work normal with SW, NX, Creo and related software. All engineers that normally work software for architecture, environmental, civil etc they don't need this
Meetlat

Post by Meetlat »

Jee-Bee wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:28 am No it don't! This helps only the small group of engineers who work normal with SW, NX, Creo and related software. All engineers that normally work software for architecture, environmental, civil etc they don't need this
That's not correct. For architecture it's super important that the master project has a absolute zero / master zero related to a coordinate system. Especially when placing multiple buildings on a buildingplot. Or doing urban planning. If you want to relate a model to the real world it's importand that you can select the right coordinate system. There are multiple systems used in the world, see https://epsg.io/. And for our country we use https://epsg.io/7415, rijksdriehoekstelsel. For example Sketchup doesn't have this. It's always a hell to align multiple imported files.

I don't know if it has to be a selectable item in the tree though.