Align axis when Inserting a Part container in a Part container

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freedman
Veteran

Align axis when Inserting a Part container in a Part container

Post by freedman »

If you have two part containers A and B with included bodies, then create a new part container C, then drag (A and B) into C. What should happen? My first thought is A and B should be zeroed on the new C. I'm actually dealing with this issue right now in a macro. I'm asking myself if I should have a button that zeros sub-part containers in the parent part container. It doesn't really matter much until you try to rotate the parent part container, then it becomes a mess.
Last edited by freedman on Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:14 am, edited 5 times in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Request] File zero / Master zero

Post by chrisb »

freedman wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:45 pm If you have two part containers A and B with included bodies, then create a new part container C, then drag (A and B) into C. What should happen? My first thought is A and B should be zeroed on the new C.
I don't think so. Let's assume you have two part containers with non zero placement. Why do you have them moved? Because they should have a certain relation to each other, e.g. like a chassis and the wheels of a car. If you put them into a new Part you do it because you want to trat them as a unit, and probably with the same relation to each other, e.g. you want to move the chassis with the wheels to their final position.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I wrote, obviously your correct, we should be able to package Parts in Parts so we can create order.

We need a new option! How about If we drag a Part into a Part it would work as it does today but as an option if you drag a Part into a Part but instead hover the mouse over the Origin of the target Part then the inserted Part will be on the Parent axis zero-zero. There could be a pop-up descriptor saying "The part will be inserted at Origin. What do you think?

EDIT: I thought I would try this in 0.20 and tried the option above. It kind of works, I do get some tree response when I try to drop a Part into the Origin of another Part, I get the following error (pic).

Almost.....
Last edited by freedman on Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

@chrisb + @freedman:
What you are chatting about is a separate topic.
Please remove your conversations from about that from this topic into a new topic.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:51 am @chrisb + @freedman:
What you are chatting about is a separate topic.
Please remove your conversations from about that from this topic into a new topic.
Done
freedman wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:45 pm Not sure if I'm speaking of the same issue;
Please rename the subject of the first post appropriately.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

The focus of this post is to find a way to allow the user to insert a Part container into a Part container and make it possible to have their axis aligned. Currently the Parent Part when created will start at axis zero-zero but the inserted Part will keep it's position. This is OK sometimes but not if you are creating a new Part, when starting a new Part you want the Parts on the zero axis so that later when we rotate the Parent Part the sub-Parts will rotate around zero.
Often if you include a Part in a Part they can be much distance apart, hard to find even.
Thanks
carlopav
Veteran

Re: Align axis when Inserting a Part container in a Part container

Post by carlopav »

maybe offtopic, but reminds something like Std_TreeSyncPlacement
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

carlopav wrote
maybe offtopic, but reminds something like Std_TreeSyncPlacement
Not offtopic at all, Thank you, thank you. That's what I have been missing and that's also what has been driving me crazy on and off since that option was inserted. I thought all these option settings were about setting how the Tree would display. It's set different on my two machines.

I will say right now I think having an option this powerful should only reside in Preferences, this little one click thing has huge repercussions on how things work, and in a hidden way. If I could compile I would remove this today. It should be turned ON by default. Geeez, I have been trying to figure out what the heck is going on when I move Parts around for weeks. There is a wasted 100 hours at least.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Nice. I agree this button Is quite hidden in that position in the toolbar... Id like It to have a more prominent Place in the ui.
Edit. Its very userful to me ti switch It on and off frequently in my workflow
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

carlopav wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:30 am Nice. I agree this button Is quite hidden in that position in the toolbar... Id like It to have a more prominent Place in the ui.
Edit. Its very userful to me ti switch It on and off frequently in my workflow
Go to Customize and add it to whatever toolbar/s you deem desirable. For tools I use all the time, I use the Global.

I didn't know about the axis selection tools in Sketcher, but when I found them, I added them to Sketcher.

For Global, I have added geometry check and sketch verify, the snip macro, and a couple others for "all the time" access.

Very convenient :mrgreen:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."