Sketch lines all go black

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tre4b

Sketch lines all go black

Post by tre4b »

I'm using 0.19

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24267 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: b2ca86d8d72b636011a73394bf9bcdedb3b109b7
Python version: 3.8.8
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)

Every now and again when I am doing a sketch all the lines and points change colour to black. Going out and back in to the sketch puts them back to normal. Am I doing something that can easily be reversed by mistake or is this a bug I should report?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Sketch lines all go black

Post by chrisb »

tre4b wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:19 pm Am I doing something that can easily be reversed by mistake or is this a bug I should report?
Neither of these. I remember Werner saying that something is running out of resources. Reopening sketcher or even restarting FreeCAD usually helps.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
tre4b

Post by tre4b »

Ta Chris, that was what I found going out and in again clears it up.

This computer has 12 cores and 64gb Ram though so not sure what resources it needs ;-) Is the code base 32bit?

Trev
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

tre4b wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:46 am This computer has 12 cores and 64gb Ram though so not sure what resources it needs ;-) Is the code base 32bit?
As you can see from your FreeCAD infos, you use a 64-bit FreeCAD. I don't think it is the hardware resources, it is rather something in one of the used libraries such as Qt (I don't know which library finally handles Sketcher's 3D view).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

tre4b wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:46 am ...
I had the same problem on similar machine (occasionally) and the solution was the same, so glad that it isn't only me ;)
As for the cores... apparently it is CPU clock speed that matters more than a numebr of cores, for 3D CAD work:
https://www.cgdirector.com/best-compute ... rendering/
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

This has been reported in French subforum by several users but we never could narrow down what causes this issue... Maybe Coin or OpenGL
tre4b

Post by tre4b »

Yeah it is really random. When it starts happening it keeps on doing it but most days it does not ever happen. I've not even been able to workout what I was doing just before. If I ever do I will report it. Otherwise its just one of them wrinkles I'm more than happy to pay for a program I'm enjoying ;-)
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

I'm happy there is now a thread in the main subforum, but I'm afraid there is indeed much we can do while we have no way to reproduce the issue. :)
LHC

Post by LHC »

Another user here that's experienced it. Glad I'm not alone at least ! If it happens to me in any sort of repeatable fashion I'll report but by the sounds of it this is an elusive creature.
pilat66

Post by pilat66 »

LHC wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:13 am Another user here that's experienced it.
I have the same problem and I also can't think of an algorithm to reproduce.