Request for a separate Assy file format

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Zolko
Veteran

Request for a separate Assy file format

Post by Zolko »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:47 pm I hereby request to create a separate Assy file format
Note: this is not a discussion "if", it's about "how"
let's ignore the "bla-bla": I'm very happy that App::Link has been integrated into core FreeCAD, so let's focus on the next step, and one of the next steps is assembly. Please, also consider that the question is complex and that we need to discuss it !

today, in v0.19, it is possible to build assemblies using core App::Part and App::link functionalities. It is possible to import external files/objects/parts into an App::Part and to place them using manual placement, or the "Transform" tool. It is, also, possible to save such assemblies and to open them in any core FreeCAD system, without need of external tools (workbenches). All Part and Body objects have "Placement" properties, and once included into an assembly such objects it is possible to manipulate them manually or by the interactive "Transform" tool.

Therefore, my first proposal is to decide (and document) that all FreeCAD assembly files are true FreeCAD core files, and there is no need of separate file format.

This, of course, has many implications:

- the A2+ file format is a dead-end. But its solver seems very good ...
- the Asm3 file format is a dead-end. But its SolveSpace solver seems quite good ...

hum ... but this also questions whether these good solvers can be use with some other file structure. So, in short, and before going further, I'd like to separate the assembly file structure from the placement of objects in the assembly geometry.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Request for a separate Assy file format

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for this highly appreciated approach. I'm still dreaming of a one fits all assembly workbench. This is a step towards it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

in my opinion, everything is already there that is necessary without assembly wbs
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Just my two cents: when an assembly format, then also a part format. But at least a assembly container would be a great first step (like TechDraw have its Page, FEM has its Analysis, .... ).
thomas-neemann wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:42 am in my opinion, everything is already there that is necessary without assembly wbs
But not practical at the moment. It is more like a workaround.

Greetings
user1234
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

user1234 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:33 am ...But not practical at the moment. It is more like a workaround.
in other cad systems it is possible to move parts by accidentally moving the mouse. not in freecad. therefore, in my opinion, freecad does not need constrains for assembly.

thomas

user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

This have nothing to do with that.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

user1234 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:47 am This have nothing to do with that.
why is assembly workbench required in freecad?

user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Structure, properties --> designated containers (formats) for designated usage.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

user1234 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:55 am Structure, properties --> designated containers (formats) for designated usage.
do you have a practical example?

user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

No one i am allowed to show because of contracts. Maybe later i can search an old project that i made in private. But it should be clear that a assembly have different properties like a part.