Problem selecting a coincident point

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Bob Shaw

Problem selecting a coincident point

Post by Bob Shaw »

In FreeCAD 0.19 build 24276, I have a fully constrained drawing using Sketcher. When I try to add a line, I carefully click a point on the drawing and then click on another location to complete the line. Invariably the original point clicked is NOT coincident with the point in the fully constrained drawing, and I have to move this new point a bit and use the coincident tool to make the points a single point again. This happens consistently and I am very careful to click precisely on the constrained point (and I believe it shows a color change). I can find no reference to this problem, although many YouTube videos I watch do NOT have this problem. Is there a preference or some other setting that I have missed? It really slows down developing a fully constrained drawing! Thank you in advance for any help.
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: Problem selecting a coincident point

Post by sgrogan »

Hello Bob Shaw! Welcome to FreeCAD and the forum :)
Bob Shaw wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:00 pm I carefully click a point on the drawing
Where does this come from? Have you created a line in sketcher? Are you trying to "snap" to the grid?
"fight the good fight"
Bob Shaw

Post by Bob Shaw »

Thank you for replying. My drawing was done in Sketcher, and I've tried it with a minimal drawing (although that was not my actual drawing). It was fully constrained (ie green). Then I tried to add a line (or any other element) by selecting the (line) tool, carefully positioning the cursor crosshair over the point, and completing the line to another random but constrained point. The drawing turned white (unconstrained) since the points I added were NOT coincident with the selected points. I then moved the line showing that it was not connected to the original endpoints selected. By moving the line, I was able to select the point pairs and constrain them to be coincident and the drawing returned to green -- ie fully constrained.

I hope that explains what I did, and what I believe to be a problem. I think it could have been a wrong setting or preference, or perhaps I needed to use a control key when making a new point coincident with an existing point. I'm fairly new to FreeCAD but was very familiar with Autocad (in the day) where SNAPping to a point was used. I "think" I have done exactly what several You Tube video tutorials show -- but they all seem to get the expected result of coincident points.

Thanks for any ideas!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It looks as if you have autoconstraints disabled.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Or snap to grid enabled....
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Another idea: Autoconstraints on/off is still stored on a per sketch basis. I thought this was changed, but it obviously isn't.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Bob Shaw

Post by Bob Shaw »

Autoconstraints was OFF -- that's it. I didn't know that term and was searching for things like snap to a point etc with NO success.

Thanks again to all of you that responded to my question! Bob.