Need a very quick, small drawing

Post here if you have a FreeCAD-related job to offer to the FreeCAD community. This can include programming or modeling.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
midnightoil

Need a very quick, small drawing

Post by midnightoil »

I have some files which came from Front Panel Designer I'd like to redo in FreeCAD. (and FreeCAD has quite the learning curve). The part has a few holes drilled through (two countersunk, one bevelled) as well as some text and graphics machined into the surface.

Deliverables are: freeCad 0.19 file, 3D step file, and dxf file

A quick project for anyone who knows the software.
Wider DVMon Faceplate.jpg
Wider DVMon Faceplate.jpg (26.94 KiB) Viewed 8086 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Need a very quick, small drawing

Post by chrisb »

A few questions:
- are you willing to do this as a community project and donate to the FreeCAD project?
- what can you provide: an image or SVG?
- does the fonts exist?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

It is not clear if the files has to be delivered in all the three formats?

What is the format you could deliver to have some dimensions and measures.

And what use you intend to do with the drawing? (There are some differences if the drawing is intended to be used for 3D printing, or CNC machining or even laser cutting.)

About output format, FreeCAD format could be exported in some format, but it is not guaranteed that the drawing is compatible with another software, DXF has an history of being slightly incompatible between versions, in other words, opening files between different versions, is not 100% guaranteed even from the vendor software. (to not mention the name).

Step is another "big and complicated format" as not every software could use all the "step capabilities" so it is not an "universal" format.

To make things short for format other than FreeCAD mileage may vary and depend not only on FreeCAD but also from the "destination" software that is used to "produce the part"

As chrisb told you Fonts files could be another problem, as they could be copyrighted by the software that have create the original file.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
midnightoil

Post by midnightoil »

Thanks for the replies.

I really only need a freeCAD file (which I could possibly modify later) and a DXF file.

The DXF file is for a machinist to create the faceplates with a CNC mill. He uses "GibbsCAM 2016" which imports the DXF file.

The plates is 78 x 35 mm.

The "1, 2, 3, 4" can be any reasonable font. Arial, etc.

I have an SVG and DXF file for the "DVMon" logo. I've tested and both can be imported into FreeCAD. But then I get 360 degrees of freedom and don't know how to scale it to fit on the part.

I have a DXF file with a "Power Symbol" in it.

The lettering (logo, 1234, and power symbol are etched as, umm, a pocket (?)

The left & right screw holes are countersunk like the picture below (screen shot from Front Panel Designer)
Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 18.27.27.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 18.27.27.png (13.75 KiB) Viewed 7959 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Can you upload the SVG?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

As it is not a very complex drawing, I see no problem to obtain a FreeCAD model, DXF it only for the outline I suspect as machining height.

If you are interested you could send me a PM (using the forum facilities).

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/