Have an Openscad to Freecad conundrum to solve [solved]

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
keithsloan52
Veteran

Re: Have an Openscad to Freecad conundrum to solve

Post by keithsloan52 »

Yuri wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:28 pm
It is of note that the warnings below still occur:
12:48:14 Load Parser
12:48:14 WARNING: Token 'DOT' defined, but not used
12:48:14 WARNING: Token 'WORD' defined, but not used
12:48:14 WARNING: There are 2 unused tokens
12:48:14 WARNING: Couldn't create 'parsetab'. [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'C:\\Program Files\\FreeCAD 0.19\\Mod\\OpenSCAD\\parsetab.py'
12:48:14 Parser Loaded
You can ignore these messages.
The link to the alternate openscad import is already there in the 0.192 version and is being updated when I load freecad, however. the parsed rotate extrude fails. It always shows 360 degrees.
It would help if you posted an example of the files to this forum so that we can test.
The link to the alternate openscad import is already there in the 0.192 version
The fact that it is already there makes me think your system is picking up an old version
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

The link to the alternate openscad import is already there in the 0.192 version and is being updated when I load freecad, however. the parsed rotate extrude fails. It always shows 360 degrees.
You may have to change directory to where the repository is installed and issue 'git pull' to make sure you have the latest version.
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

Another step forward: the importCSG.py provided by @chennes solves the issue with the rotate extrude. Thank you.

I'm still working on the other files as they are still not fetched correctly by FC. Thanks to Keith too for being there all the way along.

I'll keep coming back to report my progress. If I get stuck, I'll upload the files hoping you may help in testing issues.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Yuri wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:27 am I'll keep coming back to report my progress. If I get stuck, I'll upload the files hoping you may help in testing issues.
Thank you for volunteering to do this.

And thanks to Keith and chennes for persevering through this important enhancement within FC. :+1:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Currently it seems to be not a good idea to use emoticons, they appear HUUUGE.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chrisb wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:59 am Currently it seems to be not a good idea to use emoticons, they appear HUUUGE.
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Homepage/issues/61
It works fine on the bundled phpbb theme i'm using.
I'll look in to it.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

chrisb wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:59 am Currently it seems to be not a good idea to use emoticons, they appear HUUUGE.
Only if you use FreeCAD theme, the PHPBB default prosilver still works fine, so something in the theme needs updating.

FreeCAD them
Screenshot_20210515_224947.png
Screenshot_20210515_224947.png (66.93 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
same post in prosilver
Screenshot_20210515_225104.png
Screenshot_20210515_225104.png (75.41 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
Jim
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

Have you seen the stamina of wolves when they are on the hunt? This post is important to me.  My hunger got me out in another outing and brought another bone for you all to chew on. I managed to process 3 important files. They look pretty,  below. These are just portions.

which is produced by https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X4Ts_X ... sp=sharing and https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E27JiW ... sp=sharing

Image which is produced by https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QixH6z ... sp=sharing and https://drive.google.com/file/d/19V_mur ... sp=sharing

Image which is produced by https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mP71UB ... sp=sharing and https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ldTUv7 ... sp=sharing

I kept all the layers red by the scad file so that you can see that more complicated parts are still working in FC with numerous layers and a lot of intersecting geometry.

The scad files will be fetched by FC0.192, however, I do not know if the rotate extrude will work correctly, if not, you'll have to install the newer importCSG.py and the other one.

however, this advance just dragged me into another pit.  Assume that I want them to be exactly that, that you see. Easy,  just make a solid, select it, click export step ... bingo!! Right?  Well, the step export of the first file when brought back to FC looks just as it is seen in the screen shots below.  I went out to hunt again but just managed to find carrion and hard bones.  This one won't yield. 

The step exports appear to have "bled" geometry inward as seen in the image on the top of the second set. Note the gap in between and the "bled" geometry. Note also in the second image, geometry that shouldn't be there in the first place intersecting awkwardly with actual desired geometry. The FC looks perfect and there is no logical reason for the hidden geometry of the FC file to intersect the seen geometry in its awkward embodiment.

The second file, (InsertCradle) is part of another structure. When I attempt a fetch of the exported step file back into FC, FC dies.  Resuscitation is required. 

The portion you see in the second image from the top down is fetched correctly by FC as seen in the image. The step files when imported back into freecad look as shown below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nXQtmU ... sp=sharing

Note the partial rotate extrude being ignored in the generated step file.
Out of speculation  i suspect that this may be an outgrow of the issue with the parsed rotate extrude. The parts that I see in the fetched Step file show 360 degrees circular  geometry where it is only say, 100.  I would have not expected that the algorithm that makes the conversion between FC and Step would require proper parsing of that  but maybe,  it does. 

The third file, (base) which is also just a portion of the original file has thrown me back into issues I thought I had overcome. 
One good thing is that I can render a single piece of geometry in openscad and pass that single piece to FC so that I can work my way up to try to figure the identity of the bug. This one could amount to a prehistoric dragonfly the size of an eagle.   I need an entomologist.
 The third image from the top down shows both, the original two 2D images and the resulting union of extrusions of each. This one was working at a time but it got possessed. If in the boolean union I put the rectangle first, I obtain the rectangle. I chewed on this one like a dog after a hunger strike.

The bone is there for you to chew on. 
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

I'm just stupid as seen in my last post.

How do I get the image to be seen?
I put the URLs in between the brackets as suggested. I attempted the drag and drop but doesn't work.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

The problem is that the forums software can't figure out what image type they are, since the Google Drive links don't use extensions. I actually don't know of a way to serve images to here from Google drive, I think most people just attach their images to their post.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com