Appimage problems in Fedora 34

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Kunda1

Re: Appimage problems in Fedora 34

Post by Kunda1 »

looo wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:20 am The issue is with the conda-forge libatdc++ library which needs to be updated. In general conda-packages should work with any distribution, but is not fully independent of the system. So new distros might add some issues to conda-packages.
I guess we will see a solution in the next months. But I am not sure if they really actively work on this issue yet.
looo, whats the url for that conda-forge repo?

Edit: I've updated the weekly-builds page (https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bund ... kly-builds) with workaround instructions kindly provided by @xuewenbao (Thanks!)
xuewenbao wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:36 am hope it will help you
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
looo

Post by looo »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:05 am
looo wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:20 am The issue is with the conda-forge libatdc++ library which needs to be updated. In general conda-packages should work with any distribution, but is not fully independent of the system. So new distros might add some issues to conda-packages.
I guess we will see a solution in the next months. But I am not sure if they really actively work on this issue yet.
looo, whats the url for that conda-forge repo?

Edit: I've updated the weekly-builds page (https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bund ... kly-builds) with workaround instructions kindly provided by @xuewenbao (Thanks!)
xuewenbao wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:36 am hope it will help you
Thanks @kunda. There were a short discussion in the conda-forge gitter chat. There is a grant from numfocus targeting the update of the compiler tools (which also includes the update of libstdc++).
herbk

Post by herbk »

Hi looo,
looo wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:07 am ping...
if just deleting this files works,- wouldn't it be possible to exclude it before creating the AppImage ?

And at general: If deliting it dosn't metter, why are this files part of the AppImage ?
Gruß Herbert
looo

Post by looo »

herbk wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:04 pm Hi looo,
looo wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:07 am ping...
if just deleting this files works,- wouldn't it be possible to exclude it before creating the AppImage ?

And at general: If deliting it dosn't metter, why are this files part of the AppImage ?
Are you sure this will work in general?
herbk

Post by herbk »

No, i'm not, - but the workaround suggests it to me...
Gruß Herbert
Kunda1

Post by Kunda1 »

herbk wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:25 pm No, i'm not, - but the workaround suggests it to me...
My guess, i think that the workaround (deleting the files) forces the AppImage to use the local system files. So I'm not sure that can be applied for general use. We could experiment I guess?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
herbk

Post by herbk »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:02 pm
herbk wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:25 pm No, i'm not, - but the workaround suggests it to me...
My guess, i think that the workaround (deleting the files) forces the AppImage to use the local system files. So I'm not sure that can be applied for general use. We could experiment I guess?
You are guessing right : if i delete the local systems files FC dos't start up at all...

What i noticed at this: My system dont't have a libstdc++.so, only a libstdc++.so.6 and a libstdc++.so.6.0.29 . The libstdc++.so.6 seams to be a link (simlink? whats the different?) which points to libstdc++.so.6.0.29.

One thing more:
The Problem dos also exist with the AppImage of the FC stable ! May be you should add the hint at the download page of the stable to..
Gruß Herbert
adrianinsaval

Post by adrianinsaval »

And maybe we should rebuild stable and publish it once conda updates this files, would having a newer version of that library make it fail if the distro has an older version?
xuewenbao

Post by xuewenbao »

sol1d wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:13 pm That worked for me on Arch Linux as well, thanks for the hint!

Would you mind sharing how did you get to that idea?
I am very happy it can help, I got the idea from the link below:
https://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php? ... -34.16520/
herbk

Post by herbk »

Hi,

at least at OpenSuse Tumbleweed the Problem is solved !

But it looks to me like it is solved by the last BS Update i made, because also old Appimages, which dosn*t work before, are working now as expected.
Gruß Herbert