Measurement of Clearance Distance

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
robinsra

Measurement of Clearance Distance

Post by robinsra »

Hello FreeCAD world,
I am new to FreeCAD, trying to use it to inspect clearance distance between component features of a design from another source. It appears there may not be a way to do so unless the features are on the same plane. It appears that arbitrary points in space, not tied to a feature cannot be selected and the only distance meaurements available are from feature to feature. Is there any way of measuring, say, the distance between two faces of walls on different components in 2D space?
Thanks to all,
Robinsra
M4x
Veteran

Re: Measurement of Clearance Distance

Post by M4x »

I'm not sure if I've understood correctly. Please have a look at the big red banner at the top, share your freecad information and a simple example file.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

These are mesh objects? These points, faces, edges are not individually selectable in that type of object in FreeCAD. If so use the Mesh cross-section tool in Mesh Design workbench and measure using the produced cross-sections. Alternatively, convert to shape in Part workbench and do the measurements on the converted shapes.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

you can also dimension meshes with the dimensioning tools of draft. i draw a line in draft. the length is displayed in the parts tree. that is the fastest
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad