[Solved] Help to draw a bezel

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vk3ohm

[Solved] Help to draw a bezel

Post by vk3ohm »

I'm very fluent in OpenSCAD, SketchUp, Fusion360, but FreeCAD continues to defeat me. I've been dabbling with it for a few years, but every time I come back to it I seem to have forgotten what I learnt before. It's not helped by the fact that the product keeps changing. Anyway, I'm trying to draw something really simple, but I'm baffled how to do it.

I'm trying to draw a simple bezel for a 4x7-segment LED display. It's about 50x120mm. I've drawn one in OpenSCAD, but I want to do some chamfer and bevel, and OpenSCAD just doesn't do that. I thought FreeCAD was the answer but the learning curve is too great.

I hate to ask, but could someone put together a basic bezel like the one attached, and I can adjust its parametric dimensions later? I can also put some chamfer/bevel on it.

The display slots in from the front. The 4 digits poke through the bezel. The bezel then is inserted in a hole in a chassis. I would be very grateful if someone could get me started.
2021-09-24 00_18_23-.png
2021-09-24 00_18_23-.png (49.01 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
Last edited by vk3ohm on Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Willem
Veteran

Re: Help to draw a bezel

Post by Willem »

To design a shape like this can be done as well in the Part wb as the Part design wb, I did it in Part design
- make a sketch with the path
- make a sketch with the profile
- make a sweep
phpBB [video]
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Are you looking for someone to just create the model.for you or do you really want to learn how to use FreeCAD? If it's the later, I recommend to work through the tutorials: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Tutorials#Modeling_parts
vk3ohm

Post by vk3ohm »

Thank you very much Willem. Very helpful. I have successfully drawn my bezel using your technique. Sweeping was the first solution I tried, but I just couldn't get it to work. I was using the blue loft tool. I should have been using the yellow one. I also tried lots of pad/pocket but that didn't work.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Since you're fluent in OpenSCAD you can use your OpenSCAD code to create the object in the OpenSCAD workbench.
Snip macro screenshot-96abdc.png
Snip macro screenshot-96abdc.png (20.46 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
From there you could proceed to chamfer/fillet/whatever.
vk3ohm

Post by vk3ohm »

Thanks TheMarkster. I'll keep that in mind as plan B for next time. How do I mark a question as Answered?
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Pad and pocket should work too. In general, those operations should.be used first because they're "cheaper".

Edit the title and put "[Solved]" before the real title of this thread.