Inconsistent taskview behavior across modules

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jnxd

Inconsistent taskview behavior across modules

Post by jnxd »

Comparing the taskviews for part design's draft and FEM's displacement constraint, there's a stark difference. Both have "Add" and "Remove" buttons, but:
* In the taskview for PD draft, one can only press add/remove and then select the face(s) to add/remove. Selecting first then pressing the buttons removes the selection and doesn't perform add/remove in the list.
* In the taskview for FEM displacement, the selection needs to be done first. Otherwise pressing the button only gives us a dialog asking us to select first.

There are probably other taskviews with similar problem. I think ideally the behavior should be dependent on whether or not something is currently selected.

I'll take a look at if I can make this consistent. Does anyone have any inputs?
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
carlopav
Veteran

Re: Inconsistent taskview behavior across modules

Post by carlopav »

IMHO You should post in open discussion or in the dedicated PartDesign and FEM forums to get more attention...
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

carlopav wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:58 pm IMHO You should post in open discussion or in the dedicated PartDesign and FEM forums to get more attention...
@Kunda1 what do you think of this?
Kunda1 wrote: ping
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

I spent some time trying to fix the part design side of things, in the dress-up taskview (abstract superclass for fillet, chamfer, draft etc.), because it seemed to be the easier of the two. Expected behavior: if there are things selected when the Add (or Remove) button is pressed, the faces/edges of the feature that are selected are added to (likewise removed from) the list.

However, I missed out on one key fact: when add/remove buttons can be pressed, the "dressed-up" feature is visible, but we need the faces/edges of the base feature. Right now, I don't know of any way to map the selected items on the dressed up feature to those on the base feature.

For draft, we could probably just use the same name of the item (like "Edge006") on the base feature, because OCCT as of 7.5.0 doesn't allow topology changes in draft. This may change so I'm not trying this workaround. We might have better luck with topo-naming.

The attempt is stored as a branch on my FC fork if anyone whats to try: https://github.com/AjinkyaDahale/FreeCA ... askdlg-qol.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You are probably talking about the fillet and chamfer dialogs in PartDesign. I think you need at least one of the following:
- a special add and remove mode (which e have now)
- a special result preview, as we have for patterns, sweeps and lofts
- something fancy where you show the result for a certain time
- something very fancy, where you switch display depending on where the mouse is: in 3D view show the previous state, over task panel show the result.

Beyond that: I like the task panels in Path workbench, where you have either possibility of adding. And you have a clear button.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

chrisb wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:53 am You are probably talking about the fillet and chamfer dialogs in PartDesign.
That is correct, although I was working with the draft dialog.
I think you need at least one of the following:
For things to work, yes. But what I want to address is the fact that for some task views one is available and for others it is not.
- a special add and remove mode (which e have now)
True, but it is for this one case. In case of FEM constraints though, the situation is different.
- a special result preview, as we have for patterns, sweeps and lofts
That already happens as well. I haven't checked for fillets and chamfers, but for drafts the preview is the one visible until we enter the aforementioned "special" add/remove modes.
- something fancy where you show the result for a certain time
- something very fancy, where you switch display depending on where the mouse is: in 3D view show the previous state, over task panel show the result.
That's not what I'm talking about. But somehow my target for the "dress-up" operations might be even fancier: show only the result, but allow the user to select, say, filleted edges to be un-filleted and vice versa without changing to the "previous" state.

I hope I'm being a little more clear than I was in my previous chat.
Beyond that: I like the task panels in Path workbench, where you have either possibility of adding. And you have a clear button.
Thanks for letting me know. I'll take a look. That might be just what I'm looking for.