different results Freecad and Solidworks

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

Eduardo1

different results Freecad and Solidworks

Post by Eduardo1 »

Good Afternoon everybody, I am doing a thermical simulation, but the weird thing is the difference of results between Freecad and Solidworks. I made the same simulation in both, but the numerical result are totally different, being correct results in Solidworks, however in Freecad the results are illogical. Both simulation using the same temperatures, materials, etc. I attached an image of Solidworks and freecad file on Drive. What is happening really?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hwliuN ... sp=sharing

Beforehand thank you so much.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24267 +99 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: Branch_0.19.3
Hash: 6530e364184ce05ccff39501e175cf2237e6ee4b
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.3
Locale: Spanish/Mexico (es_MX)
Attachments
image.png
image.png (173.64 KiB) Viewed 2291 times
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: different results Freecad and Solidworks

Post by NewJoker »

It's not the fault of CalculiX because I solved your model using another preprocessor for this solver and the results agree with SolidWorks Simulation very well. Be extremely careful when applying heat fluxes (concentrated or surface fluxes) to multiple faces unless you are sure that you know how particular software handles it. In SolidWorks you have the "per item" option so you can be sure that the specified value is applied to each face. Otherwise, it's common in FEA software that the specified value is uniformly distributed on all the selected faces (so that each face is loaded with a fraction of total specified flux). The same applies to nodes within a face - sometimes the specified concentrated heat flux may be applied to each node while sometimes it will be distributed over the face so that each node receives a fraction of the specified flux. I'm not sure how it works in FreeCAD since it's not mentioned in the documentation and there might be some bugs. I will try to take a closer look at this if I have time, some simple tests and examination of the exported input file will be needed to verify how it works here.
Eduardo1

Post by Eduardo1 »

NewJoker wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:46 pm It's not the fault of CalculiX because I solved your model using another preprocessor for this solver and the results agree with SolidWorks Simulation very well.
What solver did you use?
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

PrePoMax, it's another open-source pre- and postprocessor for CalculiX. This analysis should work in FreeCAD FEM as well but it will likely require some investigation regarding heat fluxes.
Eduardo1

Post by Eduardo1 »

NewJoker wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:19 pm PrePoMax, it's another open-source pre- and postprocessor for CalculiX. This analysis should work in FreeCAD FEM as well but it will likely require some investigation regarding heat fluxes.
Thanks I will try with PrePoMax solver and I am going to share the results, but do you think SolverCalculix has a bug?
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

Eduardo1 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:30 pm Thanks I will try with PrePoMax solver and I am going to share the results, but do you think SolverCalculix has a bug?
There might be a bug in FreeCAD FEM module as a preprocessor for CalculiX solver (as I've mentioned, the solver itself works fine). The definition of heat fluxes may be working incorrectly - it's possible that the specified value is not being distributed to the surfaces properly. But I would have to do some further checks to confirm that it's actually a bug.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@Eduardo1 any chance you can test on v0.20dev?
The FEM subforum guidelines recommend that you do
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Eduardo1

Post by Eduardo1 »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:10 pm @Eduardo1 any chance you can test on v0.20dev?
that is true!!!, I am going to try it I will share that results too. Thanks
Eduardo1

Post by Eduardo1 »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:10 pm @Eduardo1 any chance you can test on v0.20dev?
I don't know why I can't use the v0.20dev, I download it but it has errors inside the file.
Eduardo1

Post by Eduardo1 »

NewJoker wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:46 pm It's not the fault of CalculiX because I solved your model using another preprocessor for this solver and the results agree with SolidWorks Simulation very well. Be extremely careful when applying heat fluxes (concentrated or surface fluxes) to multiple faces unless you are sure that you know how particular software handles it. In SolidWorks you have the "per item" option so you can be sure that the specified value is applied to each face. Otherwise, it's common in FEA software that the specified value is uniformly distributed on all the selected faces (so that each face is loaded with a fraction of total specified flux). The same applies to nodes within a face - sometimes the specified concentrated heat flux may be applied to each node while sometimes it will be distributed over the face so that each node receives a fraction of the specified flux. I'm not sure how it works in FreeCAD since it's not mentioned in the documentation and there might be some bugs. I will try to take a closer look at this if I have time, some simple tests and examination of the exported input file will be needed to verify how it works here.
if it is not a nuisance, Could you tell me what numbers did you added in each heat fluxes? because I am having the same error.