Octahedron design

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
cubegoldberg

Octahedron design

Post by cubegoldberg »

Hello, I'm quite new to FreeCAD (literally just downloaded) and have had some previous experience with other drafting software. For an initial exercise, I was going to attempt constructing an octahedron. I began with the initial triangle, but am not able to figure out how to construct an additional plane at an angle of 109.5 degrees.

System info:
Word size: 32-bit
Version: 0.14.3700 (Git)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-14
Hash: 32f5aae0a64333ec8d5d160dbc46e690510c8fe1
Python version: 2.6.2
Qt version: 4.5.2
Coin version: 3.1.0
SoQt version: 1.4.1
OCC version: 6.5.1
quick61
Veteran

Re: Octahedron design

Post by quick61 »

Try this, use a cube in wireframe display mode for construction, build the faces for half, from either Draft Line or Draft Dwire, then in Part Worrkbench Fuse, Mirror, Fuse, then convert to solid. Easy... ;)
Octahedron.png
Octahedron.png (19.89 KiB) Viewed 3416 times
Octahedron.fcstd
(28.97 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
Mark

Word size: 64-bit
Version: 0.15.3765 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: b5b929cf5822dad2b6622ab7593a112dd2c6b8f4
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
SoQt version: 1.6.0a
OCC version: 6.7.1
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Here is one way how to create an octahedron.

First step:
Go to Part design and create a sketch and add a rectangle there. Make sure that the origin is the center of the rectangle. Then add constraints (e.g. two length constraints of same size) to make it a square.
Close the sketch editor.

Second step:
Copy & Paste the created sketch. Select the second sketch and go to Edit > Placement. Inside this panel define the rotation axis to be (1,1,0) and use an angle of 90 degree.

Now you already have the six points you need for the octahedron.

Third step:
Go to Part and use the command Shape Builder. Here add the additional four edge you need.

Fourth step:
Now create the eight faces from edges. This is a bit a click work. In order to be able to pick an edge you have to hide the new created face.

Fifth step:
Select all eight face and create the shell

Sixth step:
Hide all faces and select the shell. Now select the shell and create the final solid.

Done.
Attachments
octahedron.fcstd
(21.67 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Try this, use a cube in wireframe display mode for construction, build the faces for half, from either Draft Line or Draft Dwire, then in Part Worrkbench Fuse, Mirror, Fuse, then convert to solid.
Hm, for a valid octahedron all edges should have the same length. However, this is not the case for the both objects.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hey guys,

Sorry to piss on your parade :D , but the problem with both your methods is that the result is not parametric. If you change the cube size in Mark's file, or the sketches size in wmayer's, the final object won't update; you need to start over.

Here's my take, it's fully parametric although two values need to be changed:
  • The width of the construction equilateral triangle in Sketch under Pad;
    FC_Parametric_Regular_Octahedron_01.png
    FC_Parametric_Regular_Octahedron_01.png (13.04 KiB) Viewed 3405 times
  • The length of Pad needs to be set to the same value as in Sketch.
cubegoldberg, let me know if you require a detailed explanation.
Attachments
Parametric_Regular_Octahedron.fcstd
(25.07 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Norm = :ugeek: but it's a pretty clever way.

Btw, another way would be to construct the top and bottom points and then use the loft tool.
Robocut

Post by Robocut »

wmayer wrote:Norm = :ugeek: but it's a pretty clever way.

Btw, another way would be to construct the top and bottom points and then use the loft tool.
Can this be done such that changing a parameter will cause it to update correctly?
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

wmayer wrote:
Try this, use a cube in wireframe display mode for construction, build the faces for half, from either Draft Line or Draft Dwire, then in Part Worrkbench Fuse, Mirror, Fuse, then convert to solid.
Hm, for a valid octahedron all edges should have the same length. However, this is not the case for the both objects.
Quite right.. oops - we'll say it was not enough coffee today. :oops:

Try this one.
Octahedron1.png
Octahedron1.png (27.8 KiB) Viewed 3398 times
Octahedron_Fixed.fcstd
(21.08 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
No mirror, just fused faces from Dwire.

I see Normand posted during my redo. Your right Norm, mine is not parametric. (and why would I ever be upset over being shown a better / different way to get a task done? :P )

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Greetings cubegoldberg, I guess you can see the answer is usually not to do the calculations unless you have to - let FreeCAD do them for you instead. To rotate a plane, first create a plane (or Sketch). Select it in the tree view, at the bottom of the tree view click the Data tab, double click the 3 dots to the far right of the Placement property to open the Placement dialog window, and change the position as needed. You can toggle "Apply incremental changes" to True and see the changes occur as you change the values.

Post back if you need more help or it's not clear.
======================
Nicely done Norm!
I used the improved measurement tool on 1/4 of your model and really like the increased functionality:
20140723a_octahedron.png
20140723a_octahedron.png (10.76 KiB) Viewed 3392 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

wmayer wrote:Norm = :ugeek: but it's a pretty clever way.

Thanks guys :oops:

I was actually inspired by ulrich1a, who uses construction geometry in sketches in a much cleverer way than I. His geodesic pentagon is awesome.

I didn't even think of using the Part Loft tool! A Draft Rectangle and a Draft Point would be all that would be needed to make a pyramid, then mirror it.
Robocut wrote:Can this be done such that changing a parameter will cause it to update correctly?
No, you would need to manually change the Z height of the point, and that would require you to calculate its correct Z coordinate.

With my method, you don't need to. :)
bejant wrote: guess you can see the answer is usually not to do the calculations unless you have to - let FreeCAD do them for you instead.
I wholeheartedly agree with that! I hate having to get the calculator. :D