connecting sketcher constraints to window height

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kim filitz

connecting sketcher constraints to window height

Post by kim filitz »

Hi,
i am experimenting a little bit with FreeCad and found it a very powerful app.
Currently i am creating my own windows by defining them with constraints in the sketcher part.
I am wondering how to connect certain constraints to the properties of a window, like height or width? Are there any possibilities? It would be wonderful to just change my different windows just by editing the property panel and not going into sketcher and editing the constraints.
greetings,
kim
yorik
Founder

Re: connecting sketcher constraints to window height

Post by yorik »

The short answer is: not yet. But a system to have named constraints available as external properties of an object is in the works ( viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7299 ). This will allow to modify constraint values directly from the properties editor.

You can actually achieve a similar effect already, but it is still a bit of a hack, and you must program your custom window in python. If you are interested, have a look at the window presets code in Arch/ArchWindow.py, you have "height" and "width" properties, that are connected to underlying constraints.
kim filitz

Re: connecting sketcher constraints to window height

Post by kim filitz »

thanks for the hint! i was already wondering how the preset windows and doors do achieve this.