Test request: quarter based viewer

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ickby
Veteran

Test request: quarter based viewer

Post by ickby »

Hello,

I finished the porting of freecads View3DInventorViewer to a custom quarter based implementation. Before making a pull request I would like to here some opinions, as the internal changes are rather big. It would be fantastic if someone could test the following:

1. Does it compile under Windows? I have only tested it under Kubuntu 14.04
2. Is the behavior the same as with the old viewer? The only notable difference should be that the anti-aliasing settings can not be switch on the fly anymore but requires a reopening of the viewer.
3. If anyone likes code digging, what do you think about the implementation details?

There are no additional features implemented yet compared to current master. This is just to get the porting going. I have some time for bugfixing over the coming weekend so feel free to flood me with reports :)

Branch "quarter" in https://github.com/ickby/FreeCAD_sf_master/tree/quarter

Thanks
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Test request: quarter based viewer

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi Ickby

I am testing it on Kubuntu 14.04 64bit. :)

I've got some problems on my system.

what, if any, are the different build requirements? I mean which extra packages should I install?

It looks like
openni-dev

I have libvtk5 (5.8.0) installed but I noticed I go a huge list of various vtk things missing. I also noticed that there is a libvtk6 in the package manager, do I need version 6?

I see there are a lot of Boost errors and then I have errors about not being able to find quarter. There does not seem to be a Quarter package in Kubuntu 14.04, did you get it from a PPA some where?

Jim
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

i just checked and I have openni installed but cmake did not find it...there is an openni2, should I install that?
openni_isinstalled.jpg
openni_isinstalled.jpg (151.95 KiB) Viewed 4388 times
yet when I run "cmake ." again I get the error can't find openni_dev
cmake-gui1.jpg
cmake-gui1.jpg (27.4 KiB) Viewed 4388 times
You can also see the beginning of all the can't find vtk related stuff.

Jim
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

hm very strange, i have no idea what openni is. In rebased my code on the current master, are you able to build master? there have been some build infrastructure changes lately.

In general you have to add nothing special for compilation, it should work out of the box. quarter is added to freecad sources as I changed it (and no package exists)
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi Ickby
I compiled master not long before I tried your branch, I think it was 3963....anyway I just now tried again and you are right master has the same problems...

Jim
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

2. Is the behavior the same as with the old viewer? The only notable difference should be that the anti-aliasing settings can not be switch on the fly anymore but requires a reopening of the viewer.
A few things are different.

1. The shading is different on the "bottoms" of parts.

Screenshot form:
Word size: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.3703 (Git)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-14
Hash: c6edd47334a3e6f209e493773093db2b9b4f0e40
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
SoQt version: 1.6.0a
OCC version: 6.7.1
Shading_Coin.png
Shading_Coin.png (34.04 KiB) Viewed 4352 times
Screenshot from:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.15.3969 (Git)
Branch: quarter
Hash: 8989e8fa296790c85ef7316b4083388eb3c9ecea
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.7.1
Shading_Quarter.png
Shading_Quarter.png (33.25 KiB) Viewed 4352 times
2. Rotating the view in the Quarter build is not on 0,0,0 as it is with Release build after using the zoom all view button.

3. Cursor does not change from Select(Arrow), to Pan(4Way Arrow), to rotate(Circle Arrow) when commands are invoked.

4. No cursor indications as to what type of snap is being made in Draft. Just small black square showing snap location.

5. No display of Frame rate. Noticed this when I went to test if there was any display speed difference between the two builds.

That's all I have found so far behavior wise. May I ask as to what end this change will benefit use lonely end users? :P Will this by chance allow better visual display / rendering like reflections and shadows. Is any of this what you were looking for in a testing report?

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

jmaustpc wrote:Hi Ickby
I compiled master not long before I tried your branch, I think it was 3963....anyway I just now tried again and you are right master has the same problems...

Jim
Hi Jim. Isn't this funny. Your Assembly branch is working and mine is not, while my quarter branch compiles and works and your dose not. Must be something different between our two systems. Your still on Kubuntu aren't you?

Mark
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

quick61 wrote:
jmaustpc wrote:Hi Ickby

Jim
Hi Jim. Isn't this funny. Your Assembly branch is working and mine is not, while my quarter branch compiles and works and your dose not. Must be something different between our two systems. Your still on Kubuntu aren't you?

Mark
Yes, I compile OCE from their master and probably have some extra libs but otherwise I have Kubuntu 14.04 64bit. :-)

Jim
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Yes, I compile OCE from their master and probably have some extra libs but otherwise I have Kubuntu 14.04 64bit. :-)

Jim
I build my own OCE too, and am currently building with the most recent 0.17 dev from master. Strange? :?
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

Hi guys,
I merged yesterday a new LibPack for Windows in master. It can use the PCL. You can still build without the PCL. The PCL depends on VTK (though we don't need that part) and a small portion on openni (which do the interfacing to kinect like sensors).
My assembly2 branch is still bases on the old master without PCL and OpenCV.

Using Quarter as new interface is refurbishment and should not bother the user. I will soon use it for the Rift integration.

@ickby
I will take a look!
Stop whining - start coding!