Help on designing Fuselage

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pinkbigpig

Help on designing Fuselage

Post by pinkbigpig »

Hi all,

I'm trying to use FreeCAD to design some Airplane model. FreeCAD is a very interesting tool. It help me to save a lot of time to design a Wing. Now, I have some problem in designing a Fuselage. I had tried to use Loft, Sweep but I haven't got exactly the model I wanted.

I draw some circles and loft them but the surface isn't smooth. Is there any tool in FreeCAD help me to design a simple fuselage.

Because I'm newbie in CAD, I hope to get some advice.

Thanks for any help!

Leo
Attachments
fuselage2608.FCStd
Fuselage
(43.95 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
Last edited by pinkbigpig on Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Help on designing Fuselage

Post by NormandC »

Hello Leo,

Welcome here.

You thave way too many sections. The loft has to pass through everyone of them, which makes for a rough surface. You need to reduce the number of sections, there should only be a bare minimum. Also, your sections do not follow exactly the contour of the plane (the "Wire" object) which creates those bumps.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

You can also make a series of Lofts rather than a single one. Here's an example using a limited number of your existing sketches. I fused them together with the Part Fuse (Union) tool.
Attachments
fuselage2608_normandc1.FCStd
(48.81 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
pinkbigpig

Post by pinkbigpig »

Thank Normandc! It's helpful for me.

I want my model follow exactly the contour, so I draw a lot of circles. And now I know it's not a good idea. Thanks again!

Leo
vrytar

Post by vrytar »

I generally begin with cross sections in the same positions that they were on the real aircraft.
pinkbigpig

Post by pinkbigpig »

Hi,
I try some models and I have some questions here.

How can I get this object

instead of this in FreeCAD?

Thank you for any advice!

Leo
Attachments
fuselage_with_xflr5_Loft.FCStd
(12.6 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Your images are not showing...however if you change the very last digit in you url from 0 to 1, it seems to work. Like this

Code: Select all

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/9o9kgbw3373kpfs/fuselage_xflr5.PNG?dl=1[/img]

and

Code: Select all

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyvv716e25jf1up/fuselage_freecad.PNG?dl=1[/img]

Jim
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

in answer to your question....it will be more complex than just this but start by toggling "ruled" property of the Loft...assuming that you did a single multi profile Loft and not several different Lots fused together.

Also If your shape is symmetric about any axis, you might consider making a cross section either in sketcher or Draft if you need splines and then rotating it with either the PartDesign or the Part wb rotation tools.
pinkbigpig

Post by pinkbigpig »

vrytar wrote:I generally begin with cross sections in the same positions that they were on the real aircraft.
Hi vrytar, thank you for your advice.
Can you give me some example or some information to make it clear?
jmaustpc wrote:in answer to your question....it will be more complex than just this but start by toggling "ruled" property of the Loft...assuming that you did a single multi profile Loft and not several different Lots fused together.

Also If your shape is symmetric about any axis, you might consider making a cross section either in sketcher or Draft if you need splines and then rotating it with either the PartDesign or the Part wb rotation tools.
Hi jmaustpc, I'm sorry about my mistake.
I know it will be more complex than I did, so I really want to receive your advice. I try to find a way to design a simple fuselage in FreeCAD , which is not symmetric.

Leo
vrytar

Post by vrytar »

Not sure how well this works for modern planes, but historic aircraft was essentially made by lofting from a few sections. You can see the shapes and positions of the sections in any decent plan.

http://www.fiatcr32.rotorswings.com.au/

I try to create the sections shown in the plan as closely as possible and put them in the right positions. Then I hope the FreeCAD loft function will do pretty much the same thing as real life lofting in the factory. If this doesn't work, I tweak the model, but at least I have a starting point.