Suggestions

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
LeoCosta

Re: Suggestions

Post by LeoCosta »

Dear developer
I would use the module assembly without constraints. Just to add pieces, transladalas and rotate them. But the mounts are all the .fcstd file.
It would be possible for a file extension to different of .fcstb to save only the translations and rotations of .fcstb parts. Initially it would be a big step. Like *.fcASSEMBLY
Please add an assembly with parts of objects with attributes of rotations and translations (difference of directions).

Like in cpp: create an object within the object. Add this object attributes directions (difference of CS).

Thanks,
Leo Costa
efyx

Post by efyx »

Hi again,
you are right maybe I need some more practice with FreeCAD but I am learning it in free time and what I noticed:
- good that "Enter" key will recall last command used. For example when I am choosing line start drawing and by pressing enter I have line again.
-What is very annoying that when in "Part design" when I sketch for example two circles one overlaps another partially and then I am extruding that, it is extruding but as two separate cylinders, they should be merged or I should while extruding could show which circle (or common area) should be extruded. I hope this is clear enough else I can make drawing.
- also sketch "trim an edge.." looks work very poor working on few circles overlapsing each other. I can tell it doesn't working at all.

That's all for now ;) cheers
r-frank
Veteran

Post by r-frank »

efyx wrote:-What is very annoying that when in "Part design" when I sketch for example two circles one overlaps another partially and then I am extruding that, it is extruding but as two separate cylinders, they should be merged or I should while extruding could show which circle (or common area) should be extruded. I hope this is clear enough else I can make drawing.
All 3D systems i know of will treat area within an enclosed sketch and then extruded as seperate solids.
If you have sketched two operlapping circles you have three enclosed areas resulting in three solids when extruded.
Either use "add" bool operation on solids to fuse them or trim away your two inner arcs (or circle-sections) in your sketch.
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

r-frank wrote:
efyx wrote:-What is very annoying that when in "Part design" when I sketch for example two circles one overlaps another partially and then I am extruding that, it is extruding but as two separate cylinders, they should be merged or I should while extruding could show which circle (or common area) should be extruded. I hope this is clear enough else I can make drawing.
All 3D systems i know of will treat area within an enclosed sketch and then extruded as seperate solids.
If you have sketched two operlapping circles you have three enclosed areas resulting in three solids when extruded.
Either use "add" bool operation on solids to fuse them or trim away your two inner arcs (or circle-sections) in your sketch.
Or sketch on circle...Pad it...then mount the sketch for the second circle on one of the flat end faces of the Pad (cylinder shape), use external geometry and constraints to locate the second circle relative to the first ...then Pad the second sketch...you will then have the two cylinders fused into one solid ...it will be valid...and parametric :)
efyx

Post by efyx »

@r-frank please see attached drawing
Extrusion.png
Extrusion.png (229.04 KiB) Viewed 3053 times
@jmaustpc it has to be easy - less operations = better.

Next very annoying thing is that, Esc button close the sketch, and another one that I cannot extrude sketch without closing it - just by simple pressing button extrude.

Ahh and another one, there is need of button which: Set view to actuall view. I mean when I have axometric view on sketch, I am clicking it and it turns straight to view which I am actually sketching on - without guessing is it top, front or side view.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

efyx wrote:there is need of button which: Set view to actuall view. I mean when I have axometric view on sketch, I am clicking it and it turns straight to view which I am actually sketching on - without guessing is it top, front or side view.
Hi efyx, is this what you're looking for:
(I'm not sure if I interpreted your question correctly)
efyx

Post by efyx »

@bejant - yes this is it. Cheers!
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

efyx,

Not all CAD software compensate for bad modeling practice. Solid Edge for example doesn't. If you want a valid extruded solid, you need to create a valid sketch, plain and simple, just like FreeCAD. The trim tool is not hard to use and is pretty quick! True, it could be improved, and hopefully will over time. The whole sketcher as it is is about only 2 years old.

And please keep in mind that while commercial software have paid armies of programmers with tens of thousands man-hours put in their software, FreeCAD is the work of a handful of guys working on it in their spare time. They need to prioritize. The basic tools and fonctions are what's important, drawing/modeling aids will have to come much, much later.
efyx

Post by efyx »

I appreciate work you are doing guys! Other thing which should be improved is that, esc button escapes sketch without any signal, is this only annoying me ;)? Fast edit: also very nice thing for me is when, I choose circle, draw one and after finish, the circle tool is still selected till press esc button and here's not unfortunatelly :(. Each time I need to choose tool.

PS. I just involved into translations, that's all I can do for a community (I am no programmer), anyway way great job, keep going ;)
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

efyx wrote:Other thing which should be improved is that, esc button escapes sketch without any signal, is this only annoying me
Personally, I like that behavior and don't want to have to press Esc and then an OK button. I probably wouldn't argue with a double Esc key-press though, but the dev's also have to keep in mind the next issue:
efyx wrote:Fast edit: also very nice thing for me is when, I choose circle, draw one and after finish, the circle tool is still selected till press esc button and here's not unfortunatelly :(. Each time I need to choose tool.
You're way too late; have a look at issue #1518

So the first Esc would terminate the Sketcher Geometries tool, the second Esc would exit Sketcher?