Axes System

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rockn
Veteran

Axes System

Post by rockn »

About Axes System :

Add an Axes System with a Arch Structure Object selected work good, it give you by defaut five Axes with a distance of 1000.0 mm.
I have add a crash when adding an Axes System without Structure object selected. (I know, I accumulate them). But I can't reproduce, now it work...

Modifying Distances in axes system is a little weird :
Let say I want to modifying Axes #3. I change the value, I press, enter, or tab, and I click on Close. Nothing is modifying.
Now if I make a modification then I add a new Axe, the modification of other axe is taken. But I have too much axes.

Add an Axe is weird too :
Let say I want to add Axes #6. I click on Add button I change the value of this new Axes, I press, enter, or tab, and I click on Close. It add an Axe but it have a 1.0 mm of distance. I have to make what a describe above to modifying distances.

I don't be able to make a Structural System with an existing Axes System and a Structure. I try with "Add component" and "Create Axes System". Creates an Axes system create a new default Axes sytem.
Formations - Assistance - Développement : https://freecad-france.com
yorik
Founder

Re: Axes System

Post by yorik »

Ok indeed there is a bug in the axis system... Changing the values doesn't work correctly. -> issue #1605
As for creating a system from existing axes and structures, you need to select both, and press the "structure" button. But it is not very clear either. One thing I could already do to improve it, is to allow to create an "empty" system by only selecting an axis and pressing the struct button, then allowing to fill it later...
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

I wonder whether the system of axes should preserve the original placement of the part.
For the moment the parts of the structural system are perpendicular to the system of axis.
Could one have the option to preserve the original placement of the part in order to be able to modify his placement (mainly angles)?
What do you think guys ?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

You can still modify the placement of the original piece, and the placement of the axis itself, normally that should give you all possible combinations... Can you give an example of what you are trying to achieve?
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

This single slope roof (Face in AxeSystem01.fcstd) has a sand pit inclined and the ridge sheathing is not parallel to a main axis (X or Y).
Thus to create my basic rafter I will help myself of the roof to place it. Now when I want to create a system of axis to make the distribution of the rafters I encounter two problems.
The first it is that the shift of my rafter compared to the origin of the model is deferred to the system of axis. I can solve that by replaced the basic rafter at the origin of the model while preserving his angles. I left a copy (Structure001) to show how it is placed.
The second problem occurs now, the position of the objects of the structural system are impacted by rotation. At this time I do not see how I can find the position adequate.
AxeSysteme01.fcstd
(18.43 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
While writing, and by making the file example, I manage to obtain what I want.
Basic object placed at the origin, without rotation nor translation, I changed the length in width instead of the height (even if ***), positioning of the axis according to the slope of the roof and the angle of the ridge sheathing and finally shift of the structural system. I have to change placement of structural system if I change the length of the rafter.
AxeSysteme02.fcstd
(18.08 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
*** : I never say that before but I never understood why the length of an object is defined by its height. For me when I created an object starting from a profile it is forcing the length which is specified. (wood rectangular profil or steel I profil)
* : I imagine that it is because extrusions are defined by the height in FreeCAD.