Roof builder

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: Roof builder

Post by yorik »

Ok it's merged! Great start rockn!

A couple of things I noticed, probably you know about them too.

- Invariably, my roofs start the wrong way :D like, the roof panes go towards the outside of the building, instead of the inside. I tried changing the angles to 135° or to -45°, but then come weird results (some panes don't appear anymore). I am not sure it is intended to be able to set such angles. Is there a clear rule to obtain "correct" directions?

- If this can be a good way to solve direction problems, it might be handy to add for example a button that "rotates 90°" that would switch all angles between 45 > 135 > -45 > -135.

- Maybe specify the units in the text above (angles must be in degrees, units in mm). Another idea is to add a suffix to the numeric fields.

Other than that, very good already. Much more useful than what we had until now. Congrats!
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

Thank you very much Yorik !

See this wiki page : http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... Arch_Roof2
It will replace actual wiki page soon.
yorik wrote:- Invariably, my roofs start the wrong way :D like, the roof panes go towards the outside of the building, instead of the inside. I tried changing the angles to 135° or to -45°, but then come weird results (some panes don't appear anymore). I am not sure it is intended to be able to set such angles. Is there a clear rule to obtain "correct" directions?
The angle must be between 0° and 90°... Oh I see ! Important thing that I have not talking in the wiki is that the wire must be draw in the counterclockwise direction. (When you look from top to bottom).
yorik wrote:- If this can be a good way to solve direction problems, it might be handy to add for example a button that "rotates 90°" that would switch all angles between 45 > 135 > -45 > -135.
This problem should not occur if the counterclockwise direction is respected.
yorik wrote:- Maybe specify the units in the text above (angles must be in degrees, units in mm). Another idea is to add a suffix to the numeric fields.
Yes I'm aware of this and fix that as soon as possible.
yorik wrote:Other than that, very good already. Much more useful than what we had until now. Congrats!
Thanks !
Formations - Assistance - Développement : https://freecad-france.com
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

rockn wrote:This problem should not occur if the counterclockwise direction is respected.
This will cause problems for some shapes that are automatically generated by opencascade, and for which it is not possible to choose. Maybe you could decide which is the "normal" normal direction, but offer the user a way to switch? For example a boolean property...
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

Ok I will look for this.
But, at the moment the tool is intended to work only with "fresh" wire (rectangle work well too). ** At the moment I found difficult to make a roof from all possible shape. I am use to use Cadwork and Sema that produce awesome roof and they both work with this "constraint" of counterclock wise.
I know that doesn't follow the philosophical FreeCAD rules where all can be done from everything ;) But roof is a hard thing ;)
Formations - Assistance - Développement : https://freecad-france.com
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Of course, no worries.. I can add that myself too if needed. It was just to throw ideas into the basket.