Release discussion 0.15

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wmayer
Founder

Re: Release discussion 0.15

Post by wmayer »

And I believe it is a mistake. Like it or not computers running 32-Bit Windows are still plenty and shutting out all these users would not be good. I understand the reason behind Jürgen's intention, maintaining LibPacks has been up to now a huge job, which is why the current 32-bit Windows build is still based on an obsolete LibPack.
Actually there is no need to maintain a lib pack for the 32-bit platform. Instead we can just use pre-built 32-bit binaries for the different libraries which saves quite a lot of work. There still might a 2-3 libraries that need to be built ourself but this is OK, then.

The main work for having a lib pack is that you must build release and debug version and the latter can be dropped if you use this for creating 32-bit installers only.
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

True, but with CLbundler, it is not an issue, since it is all scripted.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

OK guys,

With the new year, and with 0.14.370x released now 6 months ago, what do you think about a 0.15 release in the very near future.

I think some recent additions would make an "official" v0.15 release worthwhile:
  • Sketcher: merge sketches, regular polygons, ellipse, accelerator / elements widget and background solver stuff, loss of external geometry bug fix (issue #1791)
  • Arch: panels, furniture, cut object with plane, remade roof tool...
  • Quarter-based viewer (might still need further bug hunting?)
  • Drawing: export pages to DXF, added templates, print to scale bug fix (issue #1553)
  • Better unit support
  • ...Tons of other new features and bug fixes
  • BOLTS integration?
  • v0.15 is compatible with hamish's Drawing Dimensioning python module (dimensioning drawings is a frequent request and hamish's module makes it very easy)
  • v0.15 is compatible with hamish's Assembly2 python module
What I think would be a good reason to hold off is that OCE has not released OCE-0.17 based on OCC 6.8.0 yet.
Last edited by NormandC on Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Had forgotten about hamish's python modules for v0.15.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

normandc wrote:OK guys,

With the new year, and with 0.14.370x released now 6 months ago, what do you think about a 0.15 release in the very near future.

I think some recent additions would make an "official" v0.15 release worthwhile:
  • Sketcher: merge sketches, regular polygons, ellipse, accelerator / elements widget and background solver stuff, loss of external geometry bug fix (issue #1791)
  • Arch: panels, furniture, cut object with plane, remade roof tool...
  • Quarter-based viewer (might still need further bug hunting?)
  • Drawing: export pages to DXF, added templates, print to scale bug fix (issue #1553)
  • Better unit support
  • ...Tons of other new features and bug fixes
What I think would be a good reason to hold off is that OCE has not released OCE-0.17 based on OCC 6.8.0 yet.
I'd think it would be good to wait for OCE, but no longer than it would take for the windows libpacks to get up to speed, then do the 0.15 Release builds with the same OCE across all 3 platforms.

That would remove a little of the current hassle with dealing with varying versions in the Help forum. To BOPCheck or not to BOPCheck, this version has that bug, or was it the other version... yada-yada-yada.

A couple little things with Quarter, but no show stoppers IMO. Some seem to be video chip/driver specific and those are hard to nail down. From what I'v seen, it's mostly visual oddity here and there, and only on occasion.

For the rest, there have been a lot of improvements and fixes come about and FreeCAD is more enjoyable to use than ever. Regardless or when 0.15 Release gets done, YOU ALL HAVE DONE, AND CONTINUE TO DO A GREAT JOB - THANK YOU!!!! Yes, I'm shouting it from the roof tops! :P

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

quick61 wrote:That would remove a little of the current hassle with dealing with varying versions in the Help forum. To BOPCheck or not to BOPCheck, this version has that bug, or was it the other version... yada-yada-yada.
Oh man, I couldn't agree more.
quick61 wrote:YOU ALL HAVE DONE, AND CONTINUE TO DO A GREAT JOB - THANK YOU!!!!
So Say We All! ;)
r-frank
Veteran

Post by r-frank »

Well, as mentioned here, i already began summing up Points to be mentioned for the release notes. Feel free to add/edit.

My personal opinion:
  • it would be great if those annoying things with quarter based Viewer would be resolved before release of 0.15
  • OK, i admit that the grahpic glitches may be hard to track/resolve
  • maybe yorik will be able to add/merge his path workbench ?
  • what about other workbenches (drawing dimensions/assembly2/Animation) to be added with the Standard Installation ?
[Edit]
Prior to releasing 0.15 we should do a two-week-translation period via crowdin like we did with 0.14.

And yes, thanks to everybody involved, great Job !

Roland
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

normandc wrote:
quick61 wrote:That would remove a little of the current hassle with dealing with varying versions in the Help forum. To BOPCheck or not to BOPCheck, this version has that bug, or was it the other version... yada-yada-yada.
Oh man, I couldn't agree more.
I don't agree...I like the fact that yet again Linux is heaps better .... only joking... :D

I think we need to find out if there is any chance that Luke Parry's Drawing WB improvements can be finished well enough to be an improvement on what we currently have, even if not fully finished.

Also I think Eivind's Spreadsheet is very nearly ready to merge. Also his expressions work is a very commonly asked for feature so we should see how close that may or may not be.

Jim
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

For me it could be right now. Or we could wait for these:
  • Eivind's spreadsheet seems totally mergeable to me, I am not sure what he still wishes to add before merging
  • OCC 6.8
  • The Path module is also in a mergeable state already, but Dan Falck has the control over it now
But I am not sure it is such a good idea to merge big new modules right before a new release... We're guaranteed to have a lot of similar bug reports and/or have to do a lot of backporting. Wouldn't it be better to do a release before, while everything is very stable?
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

IMO, a release should be made before merging new big stuff into FreeCAD as we don't know which impact it may have.
ediloren

Post by ediloren »

You are the key developers, but on my side +1 for
IMO, a release should be made before merging new big stuff into FreeCAD as we don't know which impact it may have.
FreeCAD is appearing more and more stable, and this IMHO is one of the key points for attracting users. When FreeCAD used to crash more often (yes, it did.. at least the Win version, to keep Jim happy :D ), this was seen, reading the posts, one of the major drawbacks - and actually I resented it a bit myself.

After all, we are not MS that can afford to earn a lot of money with a buggish word processor in spite of the fact that crashes every now and then loosing all your work ;) . People will expect we can do better..

Ciao
Enrico