Assembly 2 workbench for FreeCAD v0.15

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ickby
Veteran

Re: Assembly 2 workbench for FreeCAD v0.15

Post by ickby »

is there perhaps a wikipedia page outlining these methods?
Not realy. There are a few good overview papers out there. Not so long ago a paper was puplished which pretty much resembles my approach: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00920675/document I do not follow the exact math and there are some general differences, but the basics are the same.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello hamish,
hamish wrote:Those of you curious enough to have read this far, I sure would like to see a demo, have a look at the screen recording at
http://youtu.be/ufhyUxQkeC0
This looks very interesting. Thanks for your work on two very useful modules.

I'll try to test this soon. :)

Edit: I couldn't wait for tomorrow so I tested it out now. Imported two parts, created constraints, then I "muxed" the parts (I guess this creates a compound?) and created a drawing page with ortho views, and finally placed a BOM (Part list) in the drawing page. This is awesome. :D

P.S. I'll have a bug or two to report on GitHub, but I need to grab some sleep now.
django013

Post by django013 »

Hi,

I wanted to try out the assembly module ...

I followed the installation instructions and did a complete rebuild of freecad, but there's no assemble2 module.
Do I have to do anything else from the installation instructions?
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

I admit that I haven't tried this workbench myself, but are you sure you followed the right instructions? There is no rebuilding involved. You are just supposed to put the folder in ~/.FreeCAD/Mod
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Yep, it's pretty straightforward. Put the folder in ~/.FreeCAD/Mod, install required dependencies, then launch FreeCAD.

Rather than downloading the ZIP archive and extracting it, I found it best to use Git if you're familiar with it:

Code: Select all

cd $HOME/.FreeCAD/Mod
git clone https://github.com/hamish2014/FreeCAD_assembly2.git Assembly2
If you have a GitHub account, click on the "Watch" button to get email notifications when there are updates. When that happens, go back to the folder then

Code: Select all

git pull
And you'll be up-to-date.
django013

Post by django013 »

You are just supposed to put the folder in ~/.FreeCAD/Mod
Oups - I was too dumb :O
I placed it at /usr/local/src/...

Thanks for pointing it out!
DanielH

Post by DanielH »

Dear hamish

Do assembly2 will work on FC 0.14.3702?

I wish try your wb without installing FC 0.15 (git), due stability issues (I'm using Arch Linux, but on stable repos).
Assembly "official" wb is not mature enough, and in process of rebuilding; in the meantime perhaps your wb will be a great improvement and help.
I'm still a newbie in Freecad and general 3D CAD programs; I'm electrician, not an engineer or industrial designer, but FC is a good tool for my projects, and an Assembly wb is a must.

Best regards from Argentina, and forgive my poor english;
DanieH
hamish

Post by hamish »

Hi DanieH from Argentina,

I do not know if the assembly2 workbench works on FreeCAD 0.14.3702.
One part of the workbench which will not work, is the parts list feature.
The actual assembly code may work.
Try it out and let me know.

Kind Regards,
Hamish
confrey

Post by confrey »

Hi hamish,
I'm a very newbye in FreeCad, but I'm using very much your assembly2 (I'm modeling solid for 3d printing, and 3d printer too); I had to stop my work after modeling an endball, I need to assembly an entire Kossel-type 3d printer, but I didn't find a constraint to use the end ball; I suppose a 'spheric constraint' might be needed, a three dimension extension of the 'circular edge constraint' that is already avalaible; what do you think about?

best regards

confrey
hamish

Post by hamish »

Howzit confrey,

I am very glad that you are finding the assembly2 workbench helpful.
You are correct, there is no spherical surface mating constraint.
I have added this constraint to the assembly2 todo list at https://github.com/hamish2014/FreeCAD_assembly2/issues.
Although I would like to attend to adding the enhancement right away, I am afraid I am going to have to be disciplined, and attend to other commitments first.

As a possible work around, try using the plane constraint command to create a constraint between a reference plane and a vertex on the end ball part.
This may allow you to progress without a spherical surface mating constraint ...

Regards,