spreadsheet module eivindkvedalen C++

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
eivindkvedalen

Re: spreadsheet module eivindkvedalen C++

Post by eivindkvedalen »

sgrogan wrote:Ca someone give me examples with this simple file.
Attached is an example where some properties of the part are calculated.

Eivind
Attachments
ssMod2_example.FCStd
(9.17 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Thanks Eivind

My first use case will be to see if I can apply material properties to my model and calculate the mass from volume and density with your spread sheet.
"fight the good fight"
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

@Eivind

Shoulf I be using SpreadsheetMod2 or SpreadsheetMod3 to see if this still compiles on Windows after your latests updates.

Great Job! I hope it makes it into 0.15
"fight the good fight"
eivindkvedalen

Post by eivindkvedalen »

sgrogan wrote:@Eivind

Shoulf I be using SpreadsheetMod2 or SpreadsheetMod3 to see if this still compiles on Windows after your latests updates.

Great Job! I hope it makes it into 0.15
Use SpreadsheetMod2, as that's the one that I'm keeping updated. SpreadsheetMod3 is meant for merging, and will be squashed. It is slightly out of date.

Eivind
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Hi all,
Sorry for the delay, I'm finally back...

I really prefer not to merge the new spreadsheet WB now. It might make sense for a user point of view, but because it hasn't been extensively tested yet, it means it'll be a big hassle for Werner and me to do backporting all the time to fix bugs.

As for removing the older one, yes, we could do that, but honestly I don't see the big point. Sooner or later, when we'll do the switch, anyone who used the old one will loose his spreadsheets. I think if it was me I'd prefer to have the new one ready at that moment than have to spend a whole release cycle without any spreadsheet. Plus, during the 0.16 development, we can figure out some transition tools.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

I agree with Yorik not to merge the spreadsheet module before the 0.15 release. Since it makes some major changes in the core system it may cause some unforeseeable regressions. That's why I prefer to have a longer test phase. So we can actually merge it as soon as 0.15 is out.

About the current spreadsheet workbench I have no strong opinion whether to release with 0.15 or not.
eivindkvedalen

Post by eivindkvedalen »

wmayer wrote:I agree with Yorik not to merge the spreadsheet module before the 0.15 release. Since it makes some major changes in the core system it may cause some unforeseeable regressions. That's why I prefer to have a longer test phase. So we can actually merge it as soon as 0.15 is out.

About the current spreadsheet workbench I have no strong opinion whether to release with 0.15 or not.
Hi,

I've only done the following changes to the core system:

1) https://github.com/eivindkv/free-cad-co ... dcad8c3099

Only used by Spreadsheet, can live without it, but I think it should be there for completeness.

2) https://github.com/eivindkv/free-cad-co ... 435784acdc

Only used by Spreadsheet. Required.

3) https://github.com/eivindkv/free-cad-co ... 6f3ed6c5e6

Used to support external documents. I can understand if you don't want this included, but I still think this is low risk.
For an initial release, I'm ok with dropping support for external documents.

4) https://github.com/eivindkv/free-cad-co ... c361ed6d21

This one I can get rid of with code duplication.

If you are thinking about support for expressions in the document object itself, I totally agree with you. It has never been my intention to get that merged for 0.15.

Eivind
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

Whatever you choose to merge or not the eivindkvedalen work for the 0.15 release, it could be interesting to make the actual Spreadsheet workbench available as an alternative WB ? (I mean a WB "installed" by hand in Mod directory)
As it is in Python I think it's possible, but is it ?
If some users have macros with the actual spreadsheet WB, maybe they have just to change the name of the imported module in the macro.
My 2 cents :)
Formations - Assistance - Développement : https://freecad-france.com
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

rockn wrote:I mean a WB "installed" by hand in Mod directory
I completely agree. Maybe we should even rename python Spreadsheet module to prevent getting confused with the later c++ based module.
If we ship a stable version including it, then we push the exceptions on a smooth transition path, for existing documents. If we exclude it from the stable version, and ask those people to install it manually, we lower the bar.
I see no point in committing at this point to provide a transition tool with the new spreadsheet module.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Yes, certainly. We shouldn't delete the existing python spreadsheet. My idea is to keep it in a subfolder, in the source code. It won't be installed, but anyone can grab and use it if he wants.