Origin Lines

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wayne1011

Origin Lines

Post by wayne1011 »

Hi all, new here. Question?
When i draw a circle and pad it. The Origins Horizontal and Vertical lines are are not
on the solid and it becomes difficult to draw another circle on top, as i can't see where the origin is, because the lines are not visible on the solid.
I know it is supposed to have the lines cross the solid because i see it in other tutorials i
watch. It is the green solid lines that go horizontally and vertically from the origin.
Is there something wrong with my computer that it is not showing or is it something i can
correct in preferences? I have looked in preferences and can't find any way to fix this. I would
just like FreeCad to work for me the way it should work.
Plus how do you add a smilie , I draged one and it did not work?
jreinhardt

Re: Origin Lines

Post by jreinhardt »

You can hide the padded circle by selecting it in the tree view and right click -> Toggle visibility or tap the space bar.

Clicking on smilies does the trick ;)
BOLTS, standard parts library for FreeCAD Thread, Help with Translation
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

hi welcome
try this macro Macro_WorkFeatures which is a multiple utility
you can create a or axis point at the center of the circle and then erase
mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

wayne1011 wrote:When i draw a circle and pad it. The Origins Horizontal and Vertical lines are are not
on the solid and it becomes difficult to draw another circle on top, as i can't see where the origin is, because the lines are not visible on the solid.
It sounds to me like perhaps you have not selected a face of the first solid before creating the next sketch f9or the next step in creating your solid.

for example sketch a circle...Pad, then click just once on the top face of the Pad cylinder so that only that one top face (and not the whole solid) is high lighted....then click new sketch and perhaps create a smaller circle and Pocket it to create a bore hole in your cylinder.

However if you have first created a sketch then Pad and then want to go back and edit that first sketch...then the solid will often be in the way. If it is then select the Pad in treeview (even while the sketch is still in edit mode) and toggle its visibility with the space bar.

Jim
wayne1011

Post by wayne1011 »

Thanks for the replies. Yes I found out that i was not selecting the face before I went
to Sketch mode. I found that out a little later in the same video. I found the problem
on my own and I'm glad I was able to do that. But anyway thanks to all who replied.
Another question while I'm at it. Are there any UserGuides or Manuals ,or books for FreeCAD.
How are we supposed to know all these little quirks like SELECTING a face before making
a new sketch.
Thanks
Wayne
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

wayne1011 wrote:How are we supposed to know all these little quirks like SELECTING a face before making
a new sketch.
Read the wiki. It is not always totally complete or up to date but contains masses of information.

In this specific case it tells on the PartDesign page in the wiki. See the link below
PartDesign_Workbench
r.tec

Post by r.tec »

..there is a book on FreeCAD:

http://www.amazon.de/FreeCAD-How--Danie ... ds=freeCAD

It's a bit outdated as it's based on version 0.12 but still valid nonetheless.

And to my surprise I just got notice of it, there is a new German-language book due in April:
http://www.amazon.de/FreeCAD-Buch-3D--K ... ds=freeCAD

I do not know if the author, Thomas Gundermann, is around here in this forum.
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

r.tec wrote: And to my surprise I just got notice of it, there is a new German-language book due in April:
http://www.amazon.de/FreeCAD-Buch-3D--K ... ds=freeCAD

I do not know if the author, Thomas Gundermann, is around here in this forum.
I think it's microelly2, I don't remember how and where I read this, but I'm pretty sure ;)
Formations - Assistance - Développement : https://freecad-france.com
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

wayne1011 wrote:Are there any UserGuides or Manuals ,or books for FreeCAD.
How are we supposed to know all these little quirks like SELECTING a face before making
a new sketch.
Hi Wayne, I have some tutorial videos on YouTube aimed at helping beginners getting started in FreeCAD Part Design WB; maybe you'll find them helpful. The first half of Tutorial00 is getting obsolete, but the others are still valid.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... KAnEjJGe8q