Feature request - compound filter

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DeepSOIC

Feature request - compound filter

Postby DeepSOIC » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:37 pm

Hi!

I have an idea for a possibly a quite useful tool. Let's call it Compound Filter. The tool is to delete or leave pieces of compound basing on criteria, something like:
* if volume of a piece is more than/less than some value
* if a piece touches/doesn't touch a user-supplied stencil solid
* if a piece is completely inside of a user-supplied stencil solid

Here's a problem that I'm trying to solve, and thought it would have been great if there was such a tool:
I made a set of turbine vanes, and I have to cut off some of them because I need to fit spokes there. If I use the cut tool, I get a few debris hanging in free air, that should be deleted.
I know, I can just break the compound apart, delete the debris manually, and re-group the compound. But the operation is not parametric, so if I decide to adjust shape of vanes, or the number of them, I'll have to redo the manual debris cleanup.

Or, if there already is a tool to parametrically solve my problem - I would love to hear suggestions!
vane-debris.png
vane-debris.png (78.86 KiB) Viewed 604 times
EDIT. The model: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9lBm- ... sp=sharing (5MB)
murdic

Re: Feature request - compound filter

Postby murdic » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:53 am

I think you could arrange the second and third functions that you suggest with intersection.