Release discussion 0.15

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: Release discussion 0.15

Post by yorik »

peterl94 wrote:I was about to upload the release builds but this thread made me wonder if there is any reason pycollada shouldn't be bundled with FreeCAD? Is it just not used often enough?
I think only because nobody took the time to pack it until now, but go ahead if you feel like it, it's a very small package...
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

peterl94 wrote:Do you guys think I should name the 32-bit windows installer any different, since I'm building it with VS 2008 for XP compatibility and I'm building the 64-bit installer with VS 2013?
I think you should add _XP like in the dev builds to avoid confusion. Because X64 will not work on XP. I think there are not too many x64 XP users though.
"fight the good fight"
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

No!
sgrogan wrote:Because X64 will not work on XP. I think there are not too many x64 XP users though.
The label 64-bit Windows XP is a lie. The x64 version is based on NT 5.2 (like 2003 server).
I can picture that one has to use a 32-bit Windows 7,8 or 10. But no sane person would run XP. People who do, can't be nagged enough.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

In our lab, one computer still runs Windows 98!!! Ancient! It can't even read/write flash usb sticks due to the lack of drivers (but it does have a USB port). I have not tried running FreeCAD on it though.
And I am still actively using Visual Basic 6, made for this ancient Windows. The most unbelievable thing about it is that I can scroll code windows with touch (it doesn't even support scroll wheel!).
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

Okay, the release builds for Windows and OS X are up now.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Newcomers are still downloading and installing the old 0.14.3700. The Sourceforge page needs to be changed to target the new 0.15 release.
Attachments
FreeCAD_download.png
FreeCAD_download.png (40.3 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Fixed.
r-frank
Veteran

Post by r-frank »

Oh, there is more to do:
- The text on the Homepage "Latest stable Version: 0.14" has to be changed
- The Link "release notes" should then point to the 0.15 release notes which should be translated
- Are there any FOSS-Sites/Magazines to be notified ?
- What about the official Ubuntu repositories ?
Attachments
Homepage_Links.jpg
Homepage_Links.jpg (55.21 KiB) Viewed 2088 times
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

wmayer wrote:Fixed.
Thanks Werner!
r-frank wrote:- What about the official Ubuntu repositories ?
FYI the official Ubuntu repositories are managed by Canonical and we have no control over them. The packages in Ubuntu 15.04 coming out at the end of April were frozen many weeks ago, so they will contain the now old v0.14.3702. The previous versions (12.04, 14.04, 14.10) won't be updated.

I'm updating our Stable Releases PPA tonight.
r-frank wrote:- Are there any FOSS-Sites/Magazines to be notified ?
Bah, I've given up on them. I've sent emails to a few of them in the past and was always ignored. :roll:

One good thing would be to publish the news on Google+ (the FreeCAD page) and Facebook. AFAIK only Yorik has access to them. As for the Google+ community, I'll try to post an announcement as soon as I've uploaded the Ubuntu packages.

I'll also update the "Read me first" post, the other forums (Italian, Spanish and Russian) will have to be updated by their respective moderators.
drei

Post by drei »

NormandC, I'll gladly update the Spanish forum but what exactly should I change? Just the stable release number?
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first