Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ulrich1a
Veteran

Re: Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Post by ulrich1a »

shaise wrote:Regarding thread generation, its nice to have, but I think not all that worth the work. For one, in nuts it is mostly hidden, and also it sometimes take ages to generate. (at least with my experience with Ulrich's screws)
Yes, the thread generation is more a fun project of mine.
I have a prototype of thread generation that works 8 to 20 times faster. Some screws with threads have also a smaller file size. I tested one example, where the file was about 50 % smaller.
The bad news is, that it take time to implement it for all the screw types. If this get published in the end, we will also have a lot of user complaining about the slow performce of FreeCAD with all the nice threaded screws in their models.
The inner thread generation is on my todo list, but I am slow to work on the items on the list.

Ulrich
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

ulrich1a wrote:I have a prototype of thread generation that works 8 to 20 times faster. Some screws with threads have also a smaller file size. I tested one example, where the file was about 50 % smaller.
Sounds impressive.
The bad news is, that it take time to implement it for all the screw types. If this get published in the end, we will also have a lot of user complaining about the slow performce of FreeCAD with all the nice threaded screws in their models.
Take your time but my guess is it will be often used now when Fasteners Workbench was introduced. As for performance i am guessing as user has to change property to create threads it will be easy to notice doing that affects performance.
The inner thread generation is on my todo list, but I am slow to work on the items on the list.
This feature would probably be quite useful for 3D printing.
Sample.png
Sample.png (50.59 KiB) Viewed 7434 times
Some observation and what i learned doing the assembly on the image:
  • It would be nice if user could multi-select objects in the tree view and use Flip Orientation tool. But this is possible ATM by doing multi-select and changing the invert property in property view. The use of flip and invert terminology could settle on using only one term in both places?
  • It would be nice if user could multi-select edges and do multi-insert on multi-parts. This is possible ATM only on single part. I could insert all washers in one operation but for nuts i had to add one by one for each washer.
P.S. It is really easy and fun to insert and control fasteners.
shaise

Post by shaise »

triplus wrote:
  • Label name should reflect some additional information. At least for example M12x25. Icons in tree view are nice visual representation of the type. But the problem is this would need to change when parameters are changed and that probably complicates things. Nonetheless this would be a nice additional feature to have.
  • For the ones that don't have for example M64 variant (Example ISO1207 diameter property should end at M10).
Done.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

shaise wrote:
triplus wrote:
  • Label name should reflect some additional information. At least for example M12x25. Icons in tree view are nice visual representation of the type. But the problem is this would need to change when parameters are changed and that probably complicates things. Nonetheless this would be a nice additional feature to have.
  • For the ones that don't have for example M64 variant (Example ISO1207 diameter property should end at M10).
Done.
Great.

Small observations:
  • Terminology for describing screw or bolt should differ in tree view.
  • If inserting M10 washer and adding nut to it the nut will be M12.
shaise

Post by shaise »

triplus wrote:
  • Terminology for describing screw or bolt should differ in tree view.
The difference is rather vague. It seems the 'official' difference is that screws are used directly on parts, while bolts are used with nuts. Since I can't guess the usage, I can't decide on the name... ;)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Yes you are correct this isn't as straightforward task as one would imagine. Probably if thread goes from the head down we could say it's a screw and if there is "clearance" it's a bolt. But yes you could use screw as a bolt and bolt as a screw in real use case. And there are screws to be used with screwdriver and have "clearance". In the end this would have to be decided on an individual basis. Therefore yes forget about this for this time as there are more important things to be done. ;)
shaise

Post by shaise »

Added PEM Standoffs:
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Today i used countersunk head screws and after i wanted to make appropriate changes to the model for countersunk head screw to fit in. I managed to do it but it would be nice if user could insert parametric countersunk head without any slots or additional screw length. If such object would be available user could easily:
  • Insert countersunk head screws in its position on the model.
  • Insert in the same place countersunk head screw without any slots and length.
  • Boolean cut operation between the model and countersunk head screw without any slot and length.
What do you think?
shaise

Post by shaise »

triplus wrote:If such object would be available user could easily:
  • Boolean cut operation between the model and countersunk head screw without any slot and length.
What do you think?
Well, if we want to help the user, will it not be better to add a new toolbar button: "Make countersunk hole" where the user simply selects all the desired holes, and do it in a single click? (It will automatically create the correct countersunk hole shape based on the hole diameter, and also let you manually change the size and depth should you like it to be different)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

shaise wrote:
triplus wrote:If such object would be available user could easily:
What do you think?
Well, if we want to help the user, will it not be better to add a new toolbar button: "Make countersunk hole" where the user simply selects all the desired holes, and do it in a single click? (It will automatically create the correct countersunk hole shape based on the hole diameter, and also let you manually change the size and depth should you like it to be different)
I don't have strong opinion on exact implementation.

The "main problem" is user has to position the screw first and after do the phase to create countersunk hole. If countersunk hole is created first something would need to change as the edge to insert (current) countersunk screw doesn't exist anymore (unless you go back in design tree to find and use the feature without countersunk hole in it).

As for the "fine tune" control. Currently all countersunk screw heads are at the same dimensions and therefore at least for now all will fit in the same countersunk hole. For example adding M10 countersunk hole would suffice for all M10 countersunk screws available ATM.

As said i will leave the implementation details if you choose to do it to you as for the feature itself it would be convenient feature to have.