Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
shaise

Re: Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Post by shaise »

triplus wrote: The "main problem" is user has to position the screw first and after do the phase to create countersunk hole. If countersunk hole is created first something would need to change as the edge to insert (current) countersunk screw doesn't exist anymore (unless you go back in design tree to find and use the feature without countersunk hole in it).
It is the same problem as your suggested workflow. So, you can do the same: first inset the screws, then select the holes and cut them in one click.

Another option I thought about, is when fitting a countersunk screw into a hole, I can add a selectable fitting option:
1. Standard - same as today
2. Fit to Head - match the screw by the head diameter rather then the thread diameter.
3. Fit to neck - match the size by the thread diameter but lift the screw until the base of the countersunk (the neck) is over the hole. This is useful if you want to constrain the screw to the bottom of a chamfered hole.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

shaise wrote:
triplus wrote: The "main problem" is user has to position the screw first and after do the phase to create countersunk hole. If countersunk hole is created first something would need to change as the edge to insert (current) countersunk screw doesn't exist anymore (unless you go back in design tree to find and use the feature without countersunk hole in it).
It is the same problem as your suggested workflow. So, you can do the same: first inset the screws, then select the holes and cut them in one click.

Another option I thought about, is when fitting a countersunk screw into a hole, I can add a selectable fitting option:
1. Standard - same as today
2. Fit to Head - match the screw by the head diameter rather then the thread diameter.
3. Fit to neck - match the size by the thread diameter but lift the screw until the base of the countersunk (the neck) is over the hole. This is useful if you want to constrain the screw to the bottom of a chamfered hole.
Yes it's the same as my suggested work flow as currently it can't be done differently. As for additional/different options and work flow sure whatever you see fit.

About 3. Fit to neck option that would probably need to take into account the fact the base of the countersunk could vary based on initial hole diameter and model thickness and therefore the result might be different to what user expects. Having only the options 1. Standard and 2. Fit to Head would therefore probably do the job just fine!
shaise

Post by shaise »

triplus wrote: About 3. Fit to neck option that would probably need to take into account the fact the base of the countersunk could vary based on initial hole diameter and model thickness and therefore the result might be different to what user expects. Having only the options 1. Standard and 2. Fit to Head would therefore probably do the job just fine!
Yes, I thought about it 10 seconds after i sent the message... ;)
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I had a partly on the Fasteners workbench over here viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11541&p=92962#p92962
The question goes about (maybe more assembly like appraoch) fasteners that follow previous patterns.

But don't get any reactions about the idea itself.
shaise

Post by shaise »

Jee-Bee wrote:I had a partly on the Fasteners workbench over here viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11541&p=92962#p92962
The question goes about (maybe more assembly like appraoch) fasteners that follow previous patterns.

But don't get any reactions about the idea itself.
The Fasteners workbench does follow part features. You just need to select top edge of a hole, and when you create the fastener it will attach to that hole. See details here:
http://theseger.com/projects/2015/06/fa ... r-freecad/
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

shaise wrote:The Fasteners workbench does follow part features. You just need to select top edge of a hole, and when you create the fastener it will attach to that hole. See details here:
My point is i wanna do the fasteners in assembly mode. When i made something i add the screws when i'm assembly the all the stuff together. not while producing(for now part mode).
I want also create part list etc and that's including the bolds; the scews; the nuts; the washers; the …
When i place a washer in the assebly. It is nice when i can add a pattern that follows the previous patten from the part.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Jee-Bee wrote:
shaise wrote:The Fasteners workbench does follow part features. You just need to select top edge of a hole, and when you create the fastener it will attach to that hole. See details here:
My point is i wanna do the fasteners in assembly mode.
You can.
When i made something i add the screws when i'm assembly the all the stuff together. not while producing(for now part mode).
There is no difference. Inserted fastener does not become one feature in the process of creating a single part. It is individual part.
I want also create part list etc and that's including the bolds; the scews; the nuts; the washers; the …
BOM. This is something Drawing WB could implement in the future. Or Fasteners Workbench could for example have a feature to list elements in Spreadsheet WB.
When i place a washer in the assebly. It is nice when i can add a pattern that follows the previous patten from the part.
Why would you create additional stuff if you can simply (multi-select) the holes and do multi-insert? Currently yes this is limited to single part as already discussed and multi-insert ATM can be done for each part separately but a limitation that can be improved in the future.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

triplus wrote:
When i made something i add the screws when i'm assembly the all the stuff together. not while producing(for now part mode).
There is no difference. Inserted fastener does not become one feature in the process of creating a single part. It is individual part.
I didn't regognize them in that way. Just way of thinking.
triplus wrote:
BOM. This is something Drawing WB could implement in the future. Or Fasteners Workbench could for example have a feature to list elements in Spreadsheet WB.
Thanks
triplus wrote:
Why would you create additional stuff if you can simply (multi-select) the holes and do multi-insert? Currently yes this is limited to single part as already discussed and multi-insert ATM can be done for each part separately but a limitation that can be improved in the future.
Let say my history. I worked in a company what had to do a lot of EMC and antena's/ receivers. So every 3 cm we had to place a rivit. and with sizes of a few meter that's quite a lot of rivits (and so a lot of work).
That is one of the reasons i had to do with repeating complex patterns (6x3 pattern but 2 are switched of) and over that was a pattern again every 60 degrees.
It work quite fast when you can add a pattern from that kind of stuff and better a pettern over a pattern!!
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Jee-Bee wrote:Let say my history. I worked in a company what had to do a lot of EMC and antena's/ receivers. So every 3 cm we had to place a rivit. and with sizes of a few meter that's quite a lot of rivits (and so a lot of work).
That is one of the reasons i had to do with repeating complex patterns (6x3 pattern but 2 are switched of) and over that was a pattern again every 60 degrees.
It work quite fast when you can add a pattern from that kind of stuff and better a pettern over a pattern!!
This is special use case but i am guessing that is a lot of rivets and probably it makes little sense regarding current Fasteners Workbench to add them to the model as it would affect performance. There are plans for the next PartDesign/Assembly WB where concepts of inserting hole feature and using single object in multiple places will be introduced that could reduce performance impact.

Anyway from this WB point of view maybe there is a way to select individual face and to get all holes on it in one go. That would do what you are after but i am guessing as this is special use case maybe other features will be implemented first. It probably depends on how hard it would be to implement "multi-select" of all holes on single surface if only the surface is selected before insert operation. Will let @shaise to think about this and to decide what to do with it.
shaise

Post by shaise »

triplus wrote:
  • It would be nice if user could multi-select objects in the tree view and use Flip Orientation tool. But this is possible ATM by doing multi-select and changing the invert property in property view. The use of flip and invert terminology could settle on using only one term in both places?
  • It would be nice if user could multi-select edges and do multi-insert on multi-parts. This is possible ATM only on single part. I could insert all washers in one operation but for nuts i had to add one by one for each washer.
Done.