Supporting Qt5

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: Supporting Qt5

Post by yorik »

Oh boy... now pyside dies??? After all our effort?
beluga

Post by beluga »

yorik wrote:Oh boy... now pyside dies??? After all our effort?
Well, people were quick to point out in that mailing list thread that PySide is not dying.
Yet, with Qt 4.8 reaching EOL on 19th December 2015 and with no Qt5 plans for PySide, it might as well be dead for anyone wanting to move to Qt5!
ian.rees

Post by ian.rees »

OpenGL support on Mac is significantly better with Qt5 than Qt4... I just bumped into the same issue as this one in the bug tracker with the Drawing workbench here. Will look in to workarounds, as I'd like FreeCAD to work nicely in Mac. -Ian-
beluga

Post by beluga »

http://www.vfxplatform.com/
The CY2016 Platform is a work in progress, feedback is still welcome and will continue to be addressed until August when the final CY2016 Platform will be published during SIGGRAPH. The major change for CY2016 is a move to Qt5 which requires a port of PySide and modifications to vanilla Qt to resolve issues that impact some DCC tools. The Working Group's aim is for this modified Qt to be available to anyone who wishes to target the CY2016 Platform, and for all major software vendors to build their CY2016 releases against the same modified Qt. More details will be shared in due course.
So as an alternative to switching to PyOtherSide, PySide might still be an option with the above-mentioned porting effort.
beluga

Post by beluga »

ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Oh man that are awesome news! Porting to QT5 will be a serious issue soon, and I was realy worried about PySide!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Yes debian is also beginning to bug us about that... They sent an automatic email to all projects still using Qt4 saying that we risk to be removed from debian in the future...
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Question to see too: How tied is Qt5 to python3?
ian.rees

Post by ian.rees »

This is really great news regarding Pyside2! It sounds like Chris is ready for some early testing - anyone here keen to give it a try? :) -Ian-
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Should we go migrate to python3 as well? I guess all major distros, mac and win has python3 by now.

P.S. There are some nice multithreading funcions in python3 that I'd like to use in FEM wb :-)